cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server reboot

Mike_LeBlanc
Level 3
Every time our full backups run, one of our servers reboots. We run BE 10.0, on this Win2K server. It has about 250GB to backup, but barely makes through 1/2 of data. It is extensively used as a file server, so no apps out of the ordinary. We backup 30 servers, ballpark 1.8TB, and no other job fails.

Here's the kicker, I run differentials every night and they work flawlessly.....I know your thinking what is this guy talking about, but it's totally happening and I am stumped. If anyone has any advice, or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
10 REPLIES 10

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
Is there anything in the eventlog? Is the machine bluescreening, or simply powering off and on? What version of Backup Exec are you running (SP1, 5520, etc), and did you install the latest remote agent on that machine?

Does it fail at the same spot everytime (System State, the D drive, etc) or is it random?

Mike_LeBlanc
Level 3
5484, no service packs because i thought that might've been the issue at first. The server does have the latest remote agent installed. Event viewer just says unexpected shutdown, doesn't blue screen, just powers off then back on. Always different spots where it shuts down, E: drive data backup. I apologize for the lack of info, haven't posted on forums before. Thanks.

Mike

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Are you backing up to a disk or tape?
- Are any services failing?
- Is Dr.Watson getting generated?

Please try the following and verify the result.
My computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery and uncheck the option "Automatically restart".

Do revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
I would try updating to 5520, can't hurt.. sorry I can't offer more information.

Mike_LeBlanc
Level 3
I appreciate your help. As you replied to this post, i was clicking on download rev 5520....weird!! Thanks again, I will try and post results.

Mike

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mike_LeBlanc
Level 3
We will be running full backups this Friday, I will update Monday morning.

Mike

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please keep us updating on this issue.

Thanks,

Mike_LeBlanc
Level 3
Still having trouble. Differentials worked great again (Mon and Tue), but as soon as I ran a full backup job, it crashes and reboots. Don't know what to try next.....

Thanks for your help

Mike

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Mike,

Would you also tell us if all servers are being backed up in a single job ? If so let us isolate the issue by creating atleast 10 different jobs comprising 3 servers each.

Is this just a windows environment or do you also Linux and Netware servers that are being backed up ?

Is this is a cluster or SAN environment ? How many Exchange, SQL or other database servers ?

In Backup Exec click on Tools > Option > Job Log Select the 3rd or the 4th option so we get a detailed job log.

You should also start the SGMON, before backups and try to debug what is going wrong or on what type of files is the backup failing exactly.

Please refer to this technote to know how to use SGMOn.

How to use the SGMON utility to perform a live debug of Backup Exec

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190979

Check in the System Event Log for any Hardware issues. Check for event IDs 5, 7, 9, 11, 15, with the source being the SCSI card or perhaps the device drivers.

Thankyou for an update.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Additional Information :