cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services Backup Exec VSS provider cannot start

RIDHO07
Level 4

dear, 

i have some problem services backup exec vss provider cannot start after installing agent for windows. i install RAWSx64 in windows server 2008 R2. 

i use syamntec backup exec 2012 Version 14.0 Rev.1798 (64-bit). 

if i start services occur error "error 1053: the services did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

what's wrong i do? do you have solution?

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do not start this service. This service should be stopped and set to manual. It will be called automatically during a backup job.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The particuler service is only used, for a short time not for the complete length of the job, during a VMware virtual machine backup job and the vmware pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts actually trigger the creation of a second similarly named service that does start.

If you want to see the effect (but only do this if the next backup you intend to run is a full one and the computer is a VMware hosted VM) then run pre-freeze-script.bat (from C:\Windows) and then refresh your services list you should see the one you are interested in stays on manual and stopped, but a second one appears that is started.

Make sure you run post-thaw-script afterwards to reset it back to the default (waiting/no job active only one stopped BE VSS service) state.