cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services not starting after a reboot

DCA-IT
Level 4

BE 20, Feature Pack 3, Hotfix 100044342

Following a server reboot, some Backup Exec services are not starting up despite being set to Automatic startup.
This has happened twice now, once with the services set to log on as the BackupExec service account and once as Local System.

Services failing to start are:
Backup Exec Agent Browser
Backup Exec Device & Media Service
Backup Exec Job Engine
Backup Exec Management Service
Backup Exec Server

I have to start these manually which is not good as there are backups schedulled to run which are waiting and decaying backup window times.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seems this is the fix:

1. Run regedit
2. Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
3. In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

** If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it with a DWORD value of Decimal 120000

4. Restart the computer.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AlexMatts
Level 6
Employee

Hello, @DCA-IT –

Thank you for posting this issue to the VOX Community Backup & Recovery forum and contacting me personally in regard to your support experience.

@kellyromer, would you mind placing Richard in contact with someone who may be able to provide a solution?

Kindly –
Alexandra
VOX Community Manager

Thanks for your help Alex!

Hi @DCA-IT, have you created a case on our Veritas Support website? I would recommend starting there.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Can you set device and media startup type to Automatic (delayed start) and reboot .
Else for now if you are rebooting set a scheduled task in task scheduler to start BE services on system restart. The script to start BE services is located in BE install path\bestart.bat

Hi Kelly,

I have opened many tickets with the Backup Exec Technical Support team but the contless ongoing problems I am experiencing are the reason I am engaging with the VOX community. The level of support I receive here seems to be much better.

Thank you

Hi Gurvinder,

Thanks for these suggestions, I will give them a go and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Hi Gurvinder,

Setting the services to delayed start has not worked.

Adding the batch file into the startup directory has also not worked.

Thanks

In summary, the following has been carried out/checked:

• Service account is a member of the local Administrator group and the Backup Operators group.
  • Service account credentials have been verified. This account is working for our other backup server and has been used to log into the problematic server.
  • Services can be started manually, either from the Windows Services MMC or the Backup Exec Services Management console.
  • BEutility has been used to run a repair operation on the BEDB database.
  • BEutility has been used to run a database consistency check.
  • BEutility has been used to rebuild the database indices.
  • Catalogue and Data directories have been copied to another location and the originals renamed.
  • Server started up without attached devices (tape drives) powered up.
  • There are no corresponding entries in the Windows Event Viewer which obviously tie-in with this problem.
  • Services have been set to Delayed Start.
  • Batch file bestart.bat has been added to the Windows startup directory.
  • A repair operation has been run on the Backup Exec installation.
  • Uninstalled Windows Updates installed before the problem started.

None of these actions have made any difference to the problem.

Seems this is the fix:

1. Run regedit
2. Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
3. In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

** If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it with a DWORD value of Decimal 120000

4. Restart the computer.

Could not find the ServicesPipeTimeout entry in the Registry. We run our updates over the weekend and everytime we reboot the server the BUE services do not automatically start up even though they are set to Automatic. Can someone give us an idea of what we need to do. 

General suggestion:
Check the dependencies of the BE services and check if all these services have started successfully when the machine is up.
Additionally, when did the issue start for you?
What version of BE / OS are you using?