cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services won't start, HELP!!!

ltjimster
Level 6

Hi guys,

I'm gettting this error on 1 of 2 backup servers when trying to start the services;

Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVERNAME.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVERNAME.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

The only thing we have changed is uninstalled SQL Server and installed the latest on the server in question.

Do i need to reinstall Backup Exec 12.5, if so can i save all the backup and restore jobs and settings so i dont lose any jobs i've done previously to network storage boxes.

Please HELP!!

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ltjimster
Level 6

I sorted it :)

Before i started this i made a copy of the Data and Catalog folders in the Backup Exec Directory.

I had to run SQL server 2008 again and when going through all the options when it asks for a instance, create a new or use existing instance i choose a new one, give it a new name then installed SQL server 2008.

When i came to the backup installation and it asked for creating a new SQL server or use existing SQL server and made sure to add existing and i added the one i made and Baddy Bing Baddy Boom installation worked, SORTED :) :)

Then i pasted the Data and Catalog folders in the newly installed Backup Exec Directory and all my jobs, etc was still there.

Jamie

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using the SQL Server that you uninstalled for your BEDB?   If so, did you uninstall the BACKUPEXEC instance?  If yes, then you would need to re-install your BE.  Make sure you make a copy of the Catalog and Data directories before you do so.

ltjimster
Level 6

Well all my boss told was he uninstalled the OLD SQL server and installed the new one, he had loads of issues unistalling the old one but he's done it now and installed the new SQL server.

So if make a copy of those Folders before i uninstall and reinstall what do i save from doing that?

Assuming i go C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec to copy the folders from? (Its Windows Server 2008 64bit)

Thanks

James

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  They are under this directory.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There will be a service dependency setting against some of the BE services that points to the original SQL instance and either needs removing if SQL is now installed on a different server (or correcting for the new instance of SQL)

Service Dependencies are stored in the registry - and we would advise not making changes unless you are comfortable with editing the registry (and have backed it up with an export) . If you are not comfortable then you would have to do an uninstall / re-install of Backup Exec.

If you are comfortable then (at your own risk) you will need to check every Backup Exec Service for

HLKM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<BE Service name or BE exe file name>\DependOnService

You should note that servcie dependecies are an operating system concept to make sure that when a service starts any required services are checked to see if already running and started if not - as such this is not a specific Backup Exec concept and for more informtaion you should probably look in Microsoft's knowledgebase.

ltjimster
Level 6

Okey well the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) Service is stopped as well and the place its looking is no longer there so i assmue reinstall. Every other service thats stopped as well is there just not the SQL one.

Can anybody point me to the download centre for downloading Backup Exec 12.5 please i've got a key, just can't find the installation file we orignally got inthe beginning.

Thanks

James

ltjimster
Level 6

I've tried downlaoding the software but it keeps telling me my Serial Number is invalid.

I've use this Link https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51791 and clicked on the bottom where it says about To obtain media for an existing license/purchase, Click Here

I've got the serial number from the BESERNUM.XML file locating in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec

I've tried both the backup Exec and Remote Agent numbers, Any reason why its not working??

Thanks

James

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can download the free software from backupexec.com and while installing you can enter the license keys you have.

Goto backupexec.com and under trialware you can see backup exec.

Regards...

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello,

I got the download and i'm having trouble installing it again,

Just before install it, i looked at the Enviroment Check and at the "Existing instances of Microsoft SQL server are compatible with Backup Exec"

Instance: BKUPEXEC, Version: 2005 has a passed

Instance: SOPHOS (Anitvirus), version: 2008 has passed

Microsoft##SSEE Red cross so i asume failed or not started

I went into SQL server configuration manager and checked it was running and it wasnt so i've started it and tried installing again and it just stops after so long with about 6 errors, plus it still shows up the Enviroment Check with RED cross.

Any Suggestions??

Thanks

James

ltjimster
Level 6

I sorted it :)

Before i started this i made a copy of the Data and Catalog folders in the Backup Exec Directory.

I had to run SQL server 2008 again and when going through all the options when it asks for a instance, create a new or use existing instance i choose a new one, give it a new name then installed SQL server 2008.

When i came to the backup installation and it asked for creating a new SQL server or use existing SQL server and made sure to add existing and i added the one i made and Baddy Bing Baddy Boom installation worked, SORTED :) :)

Then i pasted the Data and Catalog folders in the newly installed Backup Exec Directory and all my jobs, etc was still there.

Jamie