cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Chrome as default browser for links in job logs

Matt12345
Level 4

I've noticed an odd behavior in Backup Exec that's been around for quite awhile. I seem to remeber this as an issue with BE2010 and 2012.

I have Chrome installed on my Backup Exec server, and it's set as the default browser... however, when I click on a link to a tech note link inside the job log it opens up in Internet Explorer.

This is really more of an annoyance rather than a real issue, but I'd like to find a way to fix it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It will need to be an enhancement request, suggest you submit an idea via the Create Content menu at the top of these forum pages.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

go to Start and do a search for 'default programs'. In the Programs box select Google Chrome to see how many programs it is set to open by default. You can either "Set this program as default' or 'Choose defaults for this program'

Matt12345
Level 4

Thanks.. I set Chrome as the default for all.. the behavior didn't change.

Colin_Weaver

I suspect this is because we use .NET and IE code inside our own console to display the job log in the first place and it therefore then uses the same browser when you click the link

What happens if you save the job log from inside Backup Exec and then open that saved file inside Chrome before clicking the link?

Matt12345
Level 4

It saves the file as a .mhtml file. By default Windows opens it up in IE.

I just configed Windows to open up .mhtml files with Chrome. I can then open the saved log directly with Chrome but Backup Exec continues to open up links within logs with IE.

It sounds like this might need to be addressed via an enhancment request.

I get that BE uses IE to display logs within its own interface, but I don't know why it's necessary to open up IE when you're essentially clicking on a hyperlink.

Colin_Weaver

It will need to be an enhancement request, suggest you submit an idea via the Create Content menu at the top of these forum pages.