cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set priority for tapes when backup in Symantec Backup Exec 2010

nguyenthinth02a
Not applicable

Hi every one, i'm new in Symantec Backup Exec 2010.

My system is using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 with a HP autoloader tape and i place in it 6 tapes.

The problem is: when backup data to tape, SB Exec 2010 take any free tape and write data to it (Ex: the first backup: SB Exec use tape at slot 4, the second backup: SB Exec use tape at slot 7, the third backup: SB Exec use tape at slot 4... although all tapes are not full).

I want every time backup, SB Exec use tape at slot 1, if tape at slot 1 is full, SB Exec use tape at slot 2... Can SB Exec can do like this? 

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are using any media set with certain overwrite protection period then the same 

tape will not be used untill the overwrite protection period doesn't end but if the tape is

appendable then BE will keep writing data till the tape is not full. 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

For your scenario partition would be best

You need to configure the partiton & then use the backup job to run only at that partiton which will allow you to have one slot with that particular tape

Please click on link below how to configure it

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27909

Without creating partiton it is hard to do this as backup exec will pickup tape randomely from slot because it is always a best practisce to allow backup exec to manage

If this help you please mark this solved

Thank You

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are targetting all your backups to a single media set then BE will use one media for that three backups. If that media becomes full or overwrite protected  then BE will use another from scratch. If you want a particular job to use a particular tape then look at partitioning library.

If you are targetting your bnackups to different media sets, then BE will use three different media for three jobs.

Regards..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Be aware that if you use partitions and your Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) or Append Period (AP) is not set correctly, your jobs will fail because BE cannot find a suitable tape to write to and is unable to use a tape from another partition even though it is suitable.

Since you are using a tape library, you should let BE and the library manage the tapes for you rather than managing them yourself.  You might want to read my article on this topic.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape