cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Append and OPP period to utilize tapes in partition

Wajeeh
Level 4

Dear All,

In my autoloader library I have defined a partition for weekly full backup and there are two slots in it. I am looking suitable way to define append and OPP period in order to use two tapes effectively, like Tape1 in first week end, Tape2 in second week

Third week I have another set of two tapes, and want to use them also like third week end write on Tape3 and Tape 4 in 4th week, then next month again insert the first set i.e. Tape1 and Tape2

Please help on this for suitable OPP and append period settings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your OPP should be dependent on your company's requirement and not as a result of your rotation scheme.  For example, if you set your OPP to 2 weeks because of your rotation scheme, it would not be sufficient if your company requires restores from a month ago.  The tape may be overwritten when the restore is required.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Depending on how many separate jobs are involved in your weekly full backup and what the finish time of the last job is then something like

27day OPP and 12 hours AP might be a reasonable place to start (with start the first Weekly job of the day as Overwrite and any subsequenet Weekly jobs on the same day as Appends.)

How are you handling 5 weekend months or are you just going to keep the 4 week rotation going right through the year?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your OPP should be dependent on your company's requirement and not as a result of your rotation scheme.  For example, if you set your OPP to 2 weeks because of your rotation scheme, it would not be sufficient if your company requires restores from a month ago.  The tape may be overwritten when the restore is required.