cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Backup Exec 2010 R3 to run on a separate IP network

mhartman
Level 3

Hi all, I am looking to setup an IP network separate from my domain network to run backups with Backup Exec 2010 R3. I am fairly new to working with backup exec and was wondering how I would set this up. Can backup exec be setup for IP only or is DNS required?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Nope, no need to setup any DNS zones. If the push-install doesn't force the RAWS agents on your remote servers to connect to the media server on a specific IP address, you can manually edit how the RAWS agent publishes. It's done on every machine.

That said, your best bet is to create a custom selection list and put in the IP addresses of the remote servers that have a backup NIC. Use this IP address specifically and they should all run across a specific NIC.

THanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

You can install backup exec and go to Tool - Options - Network and Security

Under Network interface, you can select which network you want to use for backup jobs. The list will include all available network interfaces on the media server.

You can than select the subnet to which the network interface card belongs.

mhartman
Level 3

Ok So that is how I select the NIC for the media server. I am assuming after that I would need to push out my agent installs so they bind to that subnet. Will I need to setup a new DNS zone for this or will backup exec work with IP communication only?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Nope, no need to setup any DNS zones. If the push-install doesn't force the RAWS agents on your remote servers to connect to the media server on a specific IP address, you can manually edit how the RAWS agent publishes. It's done on every machine.

That said, your best bet is to create a custom selection list and put in the IP addresses of the remote servers that have a backup NIC. Use this IP address specifically and they should all run across a specific NIC.

THanks!

mhartman
Level 3

Perfect! I will give that a try. Thank you Craig and Bhavik.