cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a rotating media set using external USB hard drives

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
I have 2 USB hard drives. I am currently able to make full backups to these drives by stopping the BackupExec services, disconnecting the first drive (drive1), connecting the 2nd drive (drive2), and restarting the services. Then I have to manually erase everything on the new drive to make space for the new back up.

In a perfect world, I would be able to have a media set (or 2?) and simply connect the external hard drives at the right time. The software would do a full backup (on Friday) and then do differential backups on the following days (Mon, Tues, Wedn, Thurs). Then I would stop the service (BTW - does anyone know a DOS command I can use to stop and start services so I can create a batch file) remove the drive, connect the next one, and start the services again.
Now for my question. Can this be done?
17 REPLIES 17

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
IMNSHO, Veritas tottal blew it when they designed B2D on removable media

First. each removable drive that contains a B2D folder must be connected as the same drive letter each time that you attach it to the server

Next, each drive must have a UNIQUE drive letter - that is you cannot swap the drives on V: but must use V; and Q: for example.

They should have treated the B2D device as a pseudo tape drive and accepted any compatible data that is mounted there.

To stop start services, use the "NET STOP xxxxx" command and the "NET START xxxxxx" command.

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
Great response!
Ok - this seems feasible. I will just get 2 USB cables and setup each drive with it's own letter. Next - I will remove one of the drives and store that in our fire proof safe. When the backup rotation is finished on the connected drive - after a week, I will connect the other drive from storage and remove the freshly backed up drive. That way Windows wont lose track of what drive letter goes to which drive.

The next question is - how do I set up a media rotation for each drive so that it alternates every other week?
Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Will you be running a Full on the weekends and INCR/DIFF during tghe week, or weekly fulls only?

For fulls only, set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) of the media set to 13 Days

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Spencer,

Do you have any further queries?

Thanks!

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
I will be doing a full on Friday and differentials on M, T, W, TH.
Once a week I will rotate the external USB drves.
I will update this post after I have another USB cable so that both drives can be connected.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Will you be using the same media set for FULLS and DIFFS?

If so rather than 13 days OPP I would recommend 9 days

And you did plan to swap drives on Friday morning, right? So that the full and all associated DIFFS are on the same HD

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

We will wait for an update from you.

Regards,

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
OK - finally getting around to finishing this. I have both drives connected. One is F: the other is G:
I created 2 new devices under Backup-to-Disk Folders - again one is F and the other is G.
I started the Setup Media Rotation wizard only to realize it was going to force the use of this media set every week.
If I want to do a Full back up on Friday and incremental on the weekdays and CHANGE the drive so that F: is getting backed up on one week, and G: is getting backup on the other. Then it will go back to F: and so on ......
How do you do that?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Put both drives in the same media pool, then only have one conected at a time

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
I have put the drives in a media set. It is called F and G Rotation. I start the "New Job using wizard" wizard. I see where I can select the backup type. I am choosing differential. I do not see where I can choose that drive F: gets a full back up on Friday and a differential on M,T,W,TH every other week. I then want the G: drive to get a full on Friday and differential on M,T,W,TH on the alrernating week.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to create two jobs. Full and Diff. In each job specify the target as the media pool that contains these two external drives. and only have one of them connected at a time

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
So the software detects which drive is hooked up and performs the scheduled back up to that drive as long as:
a) it is in the media pool
b) the media set allows overwrite within the time period

Is this correct? I have it set up that way but just want to confirm incase my little "aha!" helps other viewers.
Thanks for your help Ken.
Spencer

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes

BackupExec will write to any device in the target media pool, depending on OPP/APP and the file dates of whatever datasets are already on the media

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
Getting closer. The job is failing when I do a Test Run.
I am pasting the job log below. I have tried reformatting the external backup drive and then recreating the folder called Backup2 that is the target for the backup.

Job Log for TestRun 0007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completed status: Failed Expand AllCollapse All
Job Information
Server name : SERVERJob name : TestRun 0007Job log : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX00134.xmlDevice name :

Test Run Job Information
Credentials CheckDevice : \\SERVER, C:Check status : SuccessDevice : \\SERVER, E:Check status : Success

Media Capacity CheckDevice : Backup-to-Disk Folder G DriveOnline append capacity : 0.000 MBOnline overwrite capacity: 0.000 MBTotal append capacity : 2,315 MBTotal overwrite capacity : 748,617 MBCapacity check status : FailedMiscellaneous :

Media CheckOnline media check : Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.Overwrite media check: There is no media online or nearline that can be overwritten or the job has been marked append/terminate.Media check status : Failed

Backup job name : Full Test run status : Fail Media protection: Append first then overwrite Target device : F and G Drive Rotation Target media : Backup1 Total byte count: 55,826,788,352

Job Completion Status
Job started : Friday, October 06, 2006 8:21:02 AMJob ended : Friday, October 06, 2006 8:24:01 AMFinal error: 0xa0008703 - Job failed running its test run. See logfile for details.
Final error category: Job ErrorsCompleted status: Failed

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
OK - I appreciate everyone's help here. Especially Ken.
Is there a DETAILED step by step guide which will help me setup a backup to two (2) external USB harddrives on a rotating basis? Full backup on Friday and incremental on the other days. I want to rotate them every week.
Thanks.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
If I recall correctly, Ken's already provided far more details than any Veritas document on the issue.

Spencer_Conklin
Level 3
As a closing note, I finally paid Symantec to help me solve this issue. The tech support guy could not figure out how to do this either. We did setup to just swap the removeable drive once a week and stop and start the services manually, (just have an F: drive) but I already new how to do that, and was wanting a solution so that even the receptionist could simply connect the alternating spare drive on Friday and disconnect the freshly backed-up drive to store in our fire proof safe. I didnt want her to have to stop and start services.

As a side note, the files that are open are not getting backed up anymore doing this new configuration. I am waiting to see if they will include this in the case I opened with them.