cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup a Backup Symantec 12 with Source of Backup is Mapped Drive

JohnnyMac1968
Level 2

I was wondering if I setup or create a backup job with the source being a mapped drive from one of my Linux Samba Share Directories will Symantec see the drive as I create the backup job wizzard.  I have backup exec installed on my Windows Server 2008R2 Domain Controller.

A million thanks,

Johnn Mac

3 REPLIES 3

JohnnyMac1968
Level 2

Sorry I should have asked,

I was wondering if I can setup or create a backup job with the source being a mapped drive from one of my Linux Samba Share Directories will Symantec see the drive as I create the backup job wizzard. I have backup exec installed on my Windows Server 2008R2 Domain Controller.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot use mapped drive in your backup job because mapped drives are associated with an online session and BE runs as a batch job.  To backup a share, you need to use its UNC path.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Johnn,

Also to add further to what PKH has said.... Backup Exec 12 can not be installed on Windows 2008 R2 server.

Backup Exec 2010 and above can be installed on Windows 2008 R2 server. I wonder if you are actually refering to BE2012 installed in your environment.

Anyways Mapped drive can not be used as source for backups in any version of Backup Exec.

Thanks,

-Sush...