cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of backup Exec 12.5 for Windows server to use a physical tape drive on the domain server from a SQL server within the domain

McKay_Tech
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I purchased two servers from dell, one to use as the Primary DC and the other as a SQL Server on the domain.  I was sold via Dell, Backup exec 12.5 for windows servers, BEWS 12.5 agent for MS SQL, and remote agent for windows and continuous protection.  I have been unable to configure the SQL server to communicate with the tape drive on the DC.  Any leads on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 So where did you instal Backup Exec and where have you installed the remote agent for Backup Exec?

If the tape drive is on the DC then Backup Exec needs to be installed on the DC - and then the remote agent needs to be installed on the SQL server (suggest you install the remote agent after you have installed the latest SP and Hotfix levels.)

The serial number for the SQL remote agent will be installed onto the DC as well.

Then you tell Backup Exec on the DC to backup the SQL instance on the SQL server to Tape on the DC

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Unless you purchase the SSO and put the tape device on a SAN, BackupExec will only write to a locally attached tape

You can, however, backup the SQL server from a media server on the DC (or any other machine)   To do this, install the SQL Serial on the media server and the Remote Agent code on the SQL Server

Then make sure that the BackupExec service account is a SQL Admin, and select the SQL instances and away you go.

McKay_Tech
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thank you for the quick response.  I'm still attempting to get the backup to run. I installed the remote agent on the SQL server and the Backup exec main Program and SQL agent as well as the open file option to the DC which can see the SQL server in the active directory and allows me to select files for backup The issue now is that they always fail to backup.  I'm not sure if I have it configured correctly or not.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 Are you only selecting files and folders (in the backup selection  list) - or in the case of the SQL information are you drilling down through the SQL container to select the database(s)?

McKay_Tech
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Going to the active Directory list  in the DC within BEW and selecting the SQL server from within there.  I do not see where I can specifically select a database for the backup to target, only a target folder.  i do have the SQL extension to the BEW on the DC and only the remote agent on the SQL Server. 

McKay_Tech
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I should say that I seeno way to apply special settings to the tables files within the SQL Data folder.  I'm figuring that I must have something incorrectly set because this is my first time configuring a remote backup agent.  The remote agent does publish info to the bew media server on the DC and the backup exec account has full access to the sql server because I changed the login of bew to use the administrator id and PW to test for a security privilege issue.

McKay_Tech
Level 3
Partner Accredited
The Remote agent also indicates that it is connected and reports the progress of the dc bew when i submit the SQL job as a run now.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 You really need to look to someone with experience with BackupExec to setup your environment correctly.  

Try a local integrator, or use Symantec's REIS service.  It's pretty obvious that you are pretty new to BE and how it works, and the worst you can do is give your self a false sense of protection...