Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share library among two backup exec server

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi Guys,

I´m planning to install a BE 16 over a physical server, but I need BE 14 as well to backup some windows 2000, this BE 14 is going to be a virtual server. The problem is both BE servers should duplicate to tape. Tape library is connected to BE 16 server (FC connection).

My questions are:

1. How should I configure the enviroment in order to accomplish both servers could duplicate to tape?

If CASO is the answer for this, how duplicate traffic would go?

2. What licenses do I need? 

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The virtual BE 14 server cannot talk to the FC library as it isn't supported.  Virtual servers cannot use SCSI pass-tru (which includes FC).  So the virtual BE 14 server probably needs to backup to disk.

I don't think CASO is supported between different version like that (BE 14 vs BE 16), but that needs to be verified.

So, the virtual BE 14 server could back up to disk.  Then the physical BE 16 server could probably duplicate those backup from disk to tape, but that probably requires an inventory and catalog operation before that can happen.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

are these 2000-servers still physical?

i would sugest to convert all your "old" servers to virtual servers. and backup everything with be16.

create a separate job for the old servers and disable all GRT functions, and don't install a be agent on it. Your old servers will be backed up as a virtual server, the only thing that would'nt possible is to restore single items.