cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint 2010 Restore of a Content Database only, not the Site

Juza
Level 1

Hi, I was hoping for some clarification on the SharePoint database restore process, as I have some confusion over whether I can restore a single content database, without BU Exec trying to also restore the associated SharePoint site.  I'm running Backup Exec 2010 R3, and I have both the SQL and SharePoint Agents deployed in my environment.

I was looking through the SharePoint Redirection options in the Restore Job Properties.  If I choose to "Redirect Microsoft SharePoint sets", I see that I do have an option to restore the SharePoint database to an alternate SQL Server instance.  So if I do choose to restore to an alternate SQL instance, does the restore then also try to restore the site on the web server from where the backup was taken, or is it assumed that since I am choosing to redirect the database, that only the database will be restored?

I don't want to have my database restore go to an alternate SQL instance, only to find out that the restore clobbered/modified my existing SharePoint site in IIS.  Can anyone help to clarify if I can restore just the SharePoint database by itself?

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you select only the content dB from the restore selections & choose the appropriate options on the sharepoint redirection setting, only the dB gets restored & not the entire site.

Verbatim from the admin guide regarding the steps ~

1 On the navigation bar, click the arrow next to Restore.
2 Click New Restore Job.
3 Navigate to and select the SharePoint database that you want to restore.
4 On the Properties pane, under Destination, click Microsoft SharePoint
Redirection.
5 Check Redirect Microsoft SharePoint sets.
6 Click Restore Sharepoint databases to an alternate SQL instance.
7 In the RestoretoSQLserver\instance field, enter the SQL server and instance
to which you want to redirect the SharePoint database.
8 In the Restore to database field, enter the name of the database to which you
want to redirect the SharePoint database.
9 Select Replace existing database to overwrite an existing database with the
same name.
If you do not select this field and a database with the same name exists on
the SQL instance, you receive an error.
10 Use the default logon account as indicated, or click Change to select a different
one.
11 Onthe Properties pane, select other job properties that might be appropriate
for your environment.
12 Do one of the following:
To run the job now Click RunNow.
Do the following in the order listed:
¦ In the Properties pane, under Frequency, click Schedule.
¦ Set the scheduling