cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint: Differential backup fails with error code 0xe0000363 (the SQL Agent was not used)

SG
Level 4
Dear all,

currently I am testing the Backup Exec SharePoint Agent to backup our SharePoint farm (it is a Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 using a MS SQL 2005 database).

While my (initial) full backup of the SharePoint worked fine using these settings...

001.gif

... the following differentail backup using these settings failed...

002.gif

... with the error message:

Final error: 0xe0000363 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Is there anything else I need to configure in my differential backup job? For example some additional "Microsoft SQL" setting? They are currently not touched and are:

003.gif

I am using Backup Exec 12.5 SP3.

Thanks for any ideas!

Best regards,
 SG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You are receving this error, because there is some backup plan or some other backup software who is also backing up the database in addition to Backup Exec. You will need to identify any activity within SQL server, which might be taking a backup job of sharepoint databases. Possibly, you have internal backup of sharepoint configured. You can observe event logs to find out what other software is being used to backup databases between BE full backup and BE differential backup. The idea is to use Backup Exec software only, for both full and differential backup jobs.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You are receving this error, because there is some backup plan or some other backup software who is also backing up the database in addition to Backup Exec. You will need to identify any activity within SQL server, which might be taking a backup job of sharepoint databases. Possibly, you have internal backup of sharepoint configured. You can observe event logs to find out what other software is being used to backup databases between BE full backup and BE differential backup. The idea is to use Backup Exec software only, for both full and differential backup jobs.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

SG
Level 4
Thank you!

You were right. I was using the SharePoint "internal" backup STSADM.EXE to export the SharePoint Serverfarm and the single sites via a scheduled task on the SharePoint server.

Once I disabled this and re-run first the Backup Exec full backup followed by a differential backup of my SharePoint everything succeeded now!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
 SG