cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Farm Backup - Agent or Virtual

spin0z
Level 3

Hello this is my fisrt visit in this forum and i searched answer for my questions but cannot find

my environment

Backup exec 2014

Server 2008 R2

ESX 5.5

HP Tape Library

I have  sharepoint farm in 3 servers (sql+web+app) that running on esx 5.5, i create backup job: sun-thru incremental backup and friday full backup

Backup to tape with sharepoint GRT option, but every time job completed with exceptions: it skipped some files of sharepoint search index

But if i backup sharepoint farm   with backup exec agent - job completed sucessfully

I need option restore virtual maschine and specific files, because i put this job before virtual backups that running incremental every day and full on friday, my question is

Incremental virtaul maschine backup that running after full agent backup will backup changes from full backup of agent or from full backup of virtual server

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is Advanced Open File Option turned on?

Using the VMware agent allows you to restore the entire VM...but to do GRT-based backups/restores you'd need the RAWS agent installed anyway...

Thanks!

spin0z
Level 3

yes aofo is turned on, but this only for windows files, not for sharepoint site colections, files, database

because i am running virtal backup for restore complete maschine ang backup exec agent job for rstore sharepoint farm files

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Application GRT (in this case Sharepoint GRT) using the Virtual agent will work only if the application (Sharepoint) is not distributed across VMs, i.e. only 1 VM must contain all Sharepoint roles.

Best to setup atleast 2 jobs. One to backup the Sharepoint Farm using the remote agent and the other to backup the VMs itself (without Application GRT,though File & Folder GRT can be ON) using the Virtual agent.

spin0z
Level 3

VJware thanks it is exactly that i created

one job of sharepoint farm with vmare agent without sharepoint grt

and second job with backup exec agent that run full backup every day

but same question

Incremental virtual maschine backup running after full agent backup will backup changes from full backup of agent job or from full backup of vmware agent job

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Incremental virtual maschine backup running after full agent backup will backup changes from full backup of agent job or from full backup of vmware agent job

From full backup of vmware agent job.

spin0z
Level 3

thanks!