cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Farm Backup Fails

soulseeker
Level 4

Hi there,

since we use a new firewall my sharepoint farm backups fail. My backup server with BE2012 resides in out internal network and our windows 2003-Webserver with tharepoint 2007 is in an optional network (domain-member).

I think my firewall rules are not the problem because I can't see any denied traffic and I can do a backup of c:\, system state and sharepoint ressources. But my other backup job, the server farm fails after writing 122 mb with the error message

"Es konnte keine Verbindung zwischen dem Backup Exec-Server und dem Remote-Computer hergestellt werden. Überprüfen Sie, ob ein Backup Exec-Agent auf diesem Remote-Computer installiert ist und ausgeführt wird. Wenn ein Backup Exec-Agent installiert ist, prüfen Sie, ob die Version stimmt. Es konnte keine Verbindung zwischen dem Backup Exec-Server und dem Remote-Computer hergestellt werden. Überprüfen Sie, ob ein Backup Exec-Agent auf diesem Remote-Computer installiert ist und ausgeführt wird. Wenn ein Backup Exec-Agent installiert ist, prüfen Sie, ob die Version stimmt. "

But the agent is installed, my other backup jobs of the webserver work. Does it maybe make sense to delete the farmbakup job and recreate it, so that the trusted relationship gets built up again? 

Thanks for help

Marcel

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How many servers are part of the Sharepoint Farm ? Do ensure all the servers which are part of the Farm have the same version of the Remote Agent running and a trust relationship is established with all these servers.

Lastly, recreating the backup job is not a bad option and you can definitely try that as well. However, recreating the backup job will not rebuild a trust relationship, but this can help in ruling out any job corruption possibility.

soulseeker
Level 4

Some updates:

I opened the backup job of the farm and try to test the identification data - it works for the sharepoint server but the test fails for the database-server.

And just for my understanding - is it necessary to backup the sharepoint ressources in my webserver-backup or do I need only the farm backup? 

Regarding my firewall - I opened the ports 

tcp 6101, 3527, 9999-10000, 6106, 445, 4679, 135, 600000, 1434

udp 1434, 445

I allowed the traffic bidirecionally between the two servers because it is still unclear to me which of the ports are listening ports of the agent and which are ports that backup exec server listens to.

soulseeker
Level 4

Part of the job is a webserver in the optional network and a database server with sql 2012 in the internal network. Backup jobs from the database server also work.

When I delete the old job, I will lose my old backups until I "reindex/catalog" my backup target, right? My target is a nas, where all jobs save their data ... I am afraid that this may cause trouble/confusion.

VJware
Level 6

Ideally, one should be backing up from the Server Farm instead of Sharepoint resources as this represents a monolithic backup view.

Deleting the old job, will not delete the old backups, though deleting the server resource will..

And do have a look @ these KBs regarding which ports should be open ~

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73384

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43579

soulseeker
Level 4

Thanks for answering me :) ... I already read those articles before and I compared my settings on the new firewall with my old - they are the same. For testing purposes I allowed ALL traffic between the different networks - the job also fails.

soulseeker
Level 4

I recreated the job, it also fails, same error message ... the snapshot-creation beginns, writes around 122 mb, then I see a message "media gets loaded" and the job fails. The log error says that no agent on mssql.domain.com (this is an alias for our sql-server) can be contacted ... 

I restarted both webserver and sql-server ...

What else can I do?

soulseeker
Level 4

ok I created a new backup job but it fails again ... the error messages tells me, that no agent couldn't get contacted on mssql.domain.com (an alias for our sql-server). 

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls enable debugging using this KB and PM me the logs - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37467

Colin_Weaver

Our remote agent MUST have a range of ports available that should number at least 30 (as congfigured in the BE console, network settings) and the firewall must be configired to match the range

This is in addition to port 10000 and the other ports you listed above. (BTW 6101 listens on the media server so is the oppsoite direction form the others)

You seem to have a range of 9999-10000 (which is only 1 port when you realize that 10000 is already used for the control connection (and in fact should not be within the defined range)