cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Services 3.0 Content Index gets paused...

Sihota
Not applicable
Sharepoint Services 3.0 Content Index gets paused, fails to resume, and is not updated after a backup completes

Can anyone tell me if the above issue has been resolved in version 12?

Exact Error Message
The index was paused.

Details:
During the backup of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007 or Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0, the content index is paused and does not resume. As the result the content index does not get updated after the backup completes.
There doesn't seem to be a feasible resolution to this with 11d (which we have) so would be grateful to know if it's solved in the latest version.

Many Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

jtatum
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi,

It seems you are referencing a specific knowledge base article (http://support.veritas.com/docs/294181).  In the footer below the article, under versions, we do note that it is fixed in Backup Exec 12 (perhaps in a counter-intuitive way).  I double-checked and this was indeed fixed in Backup Exec 12.

MacLEOD
Level 4

With backup Exec 11D could you backup the WSS server Farm but excluding the searches?  Would this work to allow the backup to use the proper agent?

MacLEOD
Level 4

I have been in contact with Symantec.
They say there is a work around regarding this issue.

Backup the whole farm is the only way to properly have a backup and DR for the Farm.

"One of the workaround would be to run a backup with BEWS and then do not reboot , immediately after this Get a backup of the index only by Sharepoint's internal  backup Utility."

Now with that said I will be configuring the backups to the full farm.

The question remains how to script a backup of only the 'Windows Sharepoint Search Service' via the STSADM script rathern they having to mainually run it from the Admin Console.