Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint backups failing - Database File List could not be queried

WilliamS44
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

Recently upgraded to BE2014 after running into an issue with our sharepoint backup that had "Upgrade to BE2014" as the fix.

Upgrade went reasonably well, had the SQL issue that everyone else had and all that fun stuff, but finally got there. After fixing everything that was broken everything is grand except for our sharepoint backups.

The Weekly full job that runs, fails first time with:

The job failed with the following error: The database file list could not be queried. Backup with snapshot technology is not possible. The database may be offline, restoring, or not configured for read access. 

From the job log I get this error:

Backup- Word Automation Services\Services-DB 1 (PERSHP01\WordAutomationDB)
V-79-40960-37947 - Database WordAutomationDB could not be queried. Backup with snapshot technology is not possible. The database may be offline, restoring, or not configured for read access.

Check the support portal for that error and I can't see anything. If i re-run the job straight away, without changing anything, the job goes through no problems.

Anyone have any ideas or able to assist at all? This has only been happening since the BE2014 upgrade. We have updated the agents on the remote computers and everything has been rebooted countless times.

Thanks.

Will.

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...maybe consider logging a support call with Symantec.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is AOFO enabled for the SPS backup or not ? And are you taking the backup via the Sharepoint Farm resource ?

Would also recommend to install HF 218257 on the BE media server and the remote servers.

WilliamS44
Level 3
Partner

Sharepoint backup is done via Sharepoint Resources under selection list of sharepoint server.

AOFO is on for that job, set to use the System provider.

I will check that hotfix out and see what happens this Friday.

Thanks for the response.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should turn AOF off when you are backing up any databases.

WilliamS44
Level 3
Partner

Thanks, I'll split the job out if it continues to cause issues this weekend. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should split off the job and turn off AOF, regardless of whether everything is o.k. this weekend.

VJware
Level 6

And preferably backup SPS via the Sharepoint Farm container itself.

WilliamS44
Level 3
Partner

Thanks for the info everyone.

The issue persisted this weekend. The job has been split out now, using the Sharepoint Farm container and AOFO disabled.

VJware
Level 6

Create a new backup job and select just "Services". Are you able to back this up successfully ?

Would also recommend to log a formal support case for us to investigate this further.

WilliamS44
Level 3
Partner

Sorry, i probably didn't word my response very well.

I only installed the hotfix this weekend, no other changes - and as you all said, it failed again.

I have now split it out, so this weekend should go without any issues, but will advise on Monday next week.

Thanks again.

Will.

Paul_Gosney
Level 2

Has there been any developements with you original issue?

We have exactly the same issue, having logged a support call so far the only suggestion has been to install Service Pack 1 which has been done without success?

Paul

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Escalate your case to advanced support if there is no progression. Seems this thread has gone "dead" so I'm afraid you won't find your answer here. Also make a new thread on the forum here so we can try and help you as well

WilliamS44
Level 3
Partner

Apologies all for not replying sooner.

After many hours of 'troubleshooting' with Symantec, they sent us back to the same link on their website which says to clear all 'log generating features have been flushed'. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66205

We did that, and same issue. In the end tech support got no where and I couldn't go any longer with failed backups, so instead of trying to backup through the sharepoint farm node, I just split out the sharepoint / database section of that job into a job of it's own through the server itself. Pretty much what I had in the first place, just with Sharepoint split out onto it's own job.

Since then, it's been working fine, no problems.

Hope that helps.