cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing FC Tape Library between NDMP (storage) and non NDMP backups

GuHo
Level 3

Hello,
We would like to backup some NDMP storage (SAN) and not NDMP Storage (Remote Agent for Windows Servers - RAWS).
I think with the solution as shown in the picture it should be possible.
Unfortunately I can not find anywhere, whether that is so supported with BE 2012.
Maybe someone knows or can help me?

Thanks Gunther

ist das supported.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In thoery that is possible - however with that kind of setup we do sometimes have problems with who owns the control of the library. As far as I know the most reliable way to configure is zone everything in the library to the media server and all NDMP filers and let the software then handle the contention. Also I think the filers have to be the same make and operating system.

BTW if both filers are connected to the library via the SAN then you would not be doing a 3-way backup - 3-way is where the data from oen filer is passed through another filer to get to the backup device because only one of the filers is directly/SAN connected to the library

EDIT just realized your drawing is wrong.

Ther NDMP Filers would not be SAN connected to the media server, they would be SAN connected to a SAN switch which the library hangs off. With the media server also SAN connected to the SAN switch.

The media server then moves the Remote Windows (RAWS) server data over than LAN before passing it over tha SAN to the library (whih i gues is a 3-way of sorts), but instructs the filers to send their data directly over the SAN to the library,.

GuHo
Level 3

Hallo,

die beiden Filer sind ein Metrocluster von NetApp.

Gunther

GuHo
Level 3

sorry...

Hallo,

both Filer are one NatApp Metro Cluster

Gunther

GuHo
Level 3

Hallo,

in this time our library are directly connected with both SAN (one drive, one Filer).

The RAWS Server, the media server and the SAN are in the same LAN.

But the backup of the RAWS Server is very lame.

Maybe a FC Switch between the SAN, the library and the media server?

Gunther

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm if you are somehow writing the windows data via the NDMP filer (and not just via the medoa server) to the library than this is NOT supprted and will be verey very slow (I assume this is what you mean by lame)

Please be aware that the system doing the backup has to be able to control the robotic arm of the library (which is why it has to be zoned to both media server and NDMP Filer). If only one of the systems has access to the arm then it will either fail to mount the media or the wrong system will do the backup. As such if the robotic arm is ONLY zoned to the NDMP filer and you try to backup RAWS data if it is not failing to mount media then it is likely you are using an unsupported 'pseudo 3-way' where you are trying to write windows data with the NDMP tape server located in the filer instead ogf teh job engien on teh media serevr being handling it.

GuHo
Level 3

Hallo,

in this drawing all parts are connected through one FC Switch.

And I think it is necessary to use only one partition in the library.

In this kind, is it not possible to send more then one requirement to the robotic on the same time.

Thanks Gunther

ist das supported 2.jpg