cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing the Same Drive for B2D and DEDuplication

navar_holmes
Level 5

I have a new Server 2012R2 running BE2015.

I have two 10TB Volumes(drives) for backups.  there is also a seperate OS drive.

I want to run B2D and DeDuplication jobs to the each of the volumes.

Then put both in a disk pool.

This would allow for me to take a volume offline (out of the pool) when there is a drive failure and not affect backups.

So what are the pros and cons for putting b2d and DD on the same volume?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Disk pool is not meant for dedup folder. BE does not prevent you from having a dedup folder and a disk storage on the same volume, but as previously advised, you will find space management difficult.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

2 different types of disk requirements in terms of IO. You need to look at what both require and make a proper decision. Basically I wouldn't do this as I am sure disk performance will suffer for both. Keep them separate.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can only have one dedup folder per media server. Also, the recommendation is to dedicate an entire volume to the dedup folder

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It is also very difficult to manage disk space if you have 2 different disk storage configurations on one volume where both are used by the Backup Product in different ways.  This is kind of part of the reason why we took away the ability to have 2 different B2D devices on one volume.

for the same reason you should not use either B2D or Deduplication volumes for things like users accessible shares 

navar_holmes
Level 5

While waiting for responses.

I built a test server with a single data drive.

BE allowed my to configure the data drive as a b2d and a DD disk.

It just created two folder in the root.

Response to PKH's reply.

I have two seperate drives (2 RAID 5s).  I can only have one DD folder?  That kinda defeats the disk pool option.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Disk pool is not meant for dedup folder. BE does not prevent you from having a dedup folder and a disk storage on the same volume, but as previously advised, you will find space management difficult.