cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift in Domain

mfarhan
Level 4
i have encountered a problem because backup operation was performed on domain X and then we shifted our organizational domain to Y. i restored data which was successfully restored but when i try to access the restored data windows 2003 does not allow me to access some parts of it, specially when i try to delete it. what would be the possible reason?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mfarhan
Level 4

I have tried to delete files using DOS and found the error of "Path Too Long". Then i tried to cut the directories and tried to minimize the path to files. Ultimately i managed to access and delete all the restored data. Windows was not providing meaningful warning which created all the problem. thank you somuch guys for helping specially PKH.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Nope the restore would not be the cause of this issue . Just check the rights and permissions on the file

mfarhan
Level 4

i have already seen the permissions which indicates that the Owner of Documents does not contain nothing, neither granted nor denied and if i change the permissions to grant or deny both ways it does not do anything, in fact it does not show the permissions set or not. the current administrator has full control as well as there are a few meaningless entries representing previous administrator as well which i removed but still the problem persisted so i moved to this portal to find some solution.

any other ideas?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try restoring the files without permissions and see how it goes.  See the setting below

MAleem
Level 3
Partner
try to use advanced tab in the persmission in windows 2003 , you will able to solve this issue.

mfarhan
Level 4

i have already treid to set permissions and full rights using advanced tab and i was successsful partially to remove files. some flies were deleted but the others are still there and the permissions are not set on those remaining files. thats why i came to this portal. i think there is something else also going on. moreover there are few files where permissions are succcessfully set but still not being deleted

mfarhan
Level 4

i have executed it but now there are a few files which are still creating problems while i try to access or delete

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried running a "chkdsk /f" on that disk to see whether there are any errors?

mfarhan
Level 4

I have checked it and found no problems in it at all

mfarhan
Level 4

I have tried to delete files using DOS and found the error of "Path Too Long". Then i tried to cut the directories and tried to minimize the path to files. Ultimately i managed to access and delete all the restored data. Windows was not providing meaningful warning which created all the problem. thank you somuch guys for helping specially PKH.