cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use the same SQL instace for Backup Exec 11d ?

Scharique
Level 2
 Hi everybody,

I am trying to clear some things up for our backup solution, we currently have SQL 2000 installed on out DB servers, that we are trying to install Backup exec 11d on, during the install wizard it asks you if you want to use the same (existing) SQL Server 2000 (sp3) instance on the network to store the database on  , should we create a new instance (backup exec MSDE 2000) to store the database on ?

Are there certain pros and cons ? Can I find some info on this ?

Thanks in anticipation.
Rick.

Message Edited by Scharique on 04-25-200710:43 AM

3 REPLIES 3

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Rick,

My suggestion would be allow BE to create it's own instance with SQL Express.

First, when you do update or install a HF your SQL services will be restarted if you are sharing your SQL server. 

Second, if your SQL server goes down your BE database will also be down.  Meaning to recover your SQL server you will need to install SQL Express to recover your SQL.  Causing an extra amount of time to recover.

We are working on getting documentation for this. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.
Patty

Scharique
Level 2
 Thank you very much for a very quick reply. Could you forgive my ignorance and elaborate on couple of things ?

What do you reference when you say 'when you install HF' ?

And from you second reasoning, Does that mean that If you use the same instance and if you have problems with your SQL enterprise manager or something, the only way you can recover you backup exec database is by installing SQL express (MSDE ?)

Thanks again !
Rick

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Rick,

I am sorry, HF is for HotFix.  If you install any hotfixes the SQL Server services will go down.

Yes, if our DB is in SQL and SQL is not working properly, you would need to get the Backup Exec Database up and running before you could restore SQL.

Patty