cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should multiple tapes running the same job be part of the same media set?

AriGold
Not applicable
We have a Quantum Superloader 3 (8 tapes max) with BackupExec 10d. We are performing the same backup to 5 different tapes, one for each day of the week (At least that is the plan). My question is, should each tape Mon-Fri all be part of the same Media Set? If so, how in Backup Exec can you control the correct tape being placed in the drive for backup, and then ejecting the media afterward?

The basic plan is, backup the media on the particular day, then eject, and send the media offsite. We will then manually reinsert the backup tape that just got returned to us by our courier. So if it's Monday morning, I will take the Friday backup tape that just got spit out to me, send it offsite, and I will return the Thursday tape into the magazine that just got returned to me by the courier. The only thing I need to know how to automatically schedule is the fact that the correct tape is being chosen. Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Partition the library and create a job for each night, pointed at the appropriate slot

See the Admin Guide for details