cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown BE without deleting logs

Tech_Support_4
Level 3

Hi,

I need to stop all the BE 2014 services, but I dont want to lose any catalog or logs of my pervious jobs from it. 

I will be using this server for another backup solution; but and use the new LTO tapes, on the same library.

So I need to check if any log configuration I have to make, as a firend told me that there might be some logs which gets deleted after some specific period like 90 days or so. 

So how can I gracefully stop BE from the server, and have its DBs, cataglogs intact, so when ever I need to use my old tape for restoration, I dont have to go to a hassel for doing major cataloging etc.

Hope this query is clear to understand, and do please guide me to achieve it.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you stop the BE services, then the pruning process never runs...the services are stopped. When you start the BE services up, the process will definitely start up again.

Your best bet is to grab copies of the Data & Catalogs folders after stopping the BE services. This way you will always have a manual snapshot of the logs etc.

Thanks!

Tech_Support_4
Level 3

Thanks for the info. But can guide me whrere will be the Data folder?

Also I have uncheck Delete Aged Data from "Configuration and SettingsBackup Exec SettingsDatabase Maintenance >"  was set to 90 days.

But as you mentioned when ever I start the services, it will start the lpruning process, so how can I used the copied Data & Catalog folders? Wont it get pruned again?

Tech_Support_4
Level 3

Also unchecked Truncate catalog after  from "Configuration and SettingsBackup Exec SettingsCatalog >"  was set to 2 months.

Also Do I Need to uncheck the settings under Disk Cartridge devices? its set to 30 days