cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Disaster Recovery Alternate Data Path

PD001
Level 5

When I try and put in a UNC path for the Simplified Disaster Recovery Alternate Data Path, it does, it comes back with the error "the alternate data path is not valid" Then account it is trying to use has full rights to the path I'm putting in. what else could I check

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Create a sub-folder in that share and provide the path. For egs ~

\\ServerName\SharePath\FolderName

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Colin_Weaver

The service account has to be able to access this path, not the account you are logged into the console as

- this is for a very simple reason: BE is designed to still run jobs when you are not logged in

PD001
Level 5

the service account has acccess to backup the folder, shouldn't this be the same access?

ElvenSailor
Level 2

Is that share hidden? (contains "$" on end ) ?  If is, that's root of the problem.

PD001
Level 5

No, I have a share created, with the backup logon account given full permissons, checked effective permissons on the share. Still getting the same errror. 

VJware
Level 6

Create a sub-folder in that share and provide the path. For egs ~

\\ServerName\SharePath\FolderName

PD001
Level 5

using

\\IT-TOOLS.wihd.org\Backup Exec\SDR

PD001
Level 5

I login as my service account from my Backup Exec server and I'm able to create\modify a file on the share. 

VJware
Level 6

Instead of naming it Backup Exec and SDR, would you pls try using other non-specific BE names.

Are you able to set an alternate path on the same server but different volume ? And have you tried setting it on a different server as well as a test ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I created a directory and share it as SDR$ because I want it hidden. Everybody has full access to this share. The alternate path is given as \\server\SDR$ This shared directory is on a Windows server.

PD001
Level 5

VJware, thatnk you for the response, but a share is a function of windows, if permissions are giving and logging in from the backup server with the service account and able to access that share, then the name of share is a non issue, unless now BE is having an issue. Are there naming conventions that BE cannot handle for shares? Putting the share on another Server\volume should not have an impact if I can use the service accoun to reach this share. I understand the thought process, but it seems BE is not recongizing the service account that is being used. 

PD001
Level 5

I changed the account and now it is working, Thank you for all the responses