cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Disaster Recovery Disk

ComputerMan2177
Level 3

Can someone please just shed some light on the Simplified Disaster Recovery Disk?  What exactly is it and how large will it be if I create one?  Basically I have all my backups stored on an external exagrid (SAN based storage).  Do I need this disk if the hardware itself dies and I need to restore my files?  What advantage does the disk have over just getting my new hardware up, install the OS and then install BE2014 and restore my files that way?  Does the disk allow you to restore the entire system state without having to reinstall the OS on failed hardware first?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Important Points: 

You might want to create a customized SDR disk to check that you can add SAN HBA drivers to get to your Exagrid storage as in your situation it won't be much use if you can't get to your backup sets from inside SDR

Also are you deduplicating onto the Exagrid or standard DIsk Storage (B2D) as an SDR disk can restore remote systems where deduplication is involved (i.e. where the Backup Exec Server is up and running)  but it cannot access Dedup to restore a Backup Exec Server.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver

The SDR disk is a bootable DVD that will start enough of an operting system to do a restore without needing to manually install an OS first.

If you don't use the disk, then to DR a server, you would have to manually install an OS and patch it to similar levels as the original, then install components of Backup Exec (possibly with custom paths if recovering the Backup Exec Server itself) and make sure these are patched. Then do one or more restore jobs to recover the server itself.

Note: even if using the SDR disk, you might have to do a secondary restore of database content after you have got the OS back and if restoring systems backed up with a virtual agent (Hyper-V or VMware) then the SDR disk is not needed.

Colin_Weaver

Important Points: 

You might want to create a customized SDR disk to check that you can add SAN HBA drivers to get to your Exagrid storage as in your situation it won't be much use if you can't get to your backup sets from inside SDR

Also are you deduplicating onto the Exagrid or standard DIsk Storage (B2D) as an SDR disk can restore remote systems where deduplication is involved (i.e. where the Backup Exec Server is up and running)  but it cannot access Dedup to restore a Backup Exec Server.

ComputerMan2177
Level 3

Yes we are dedpulicating to two other off site exagrids as well, pretty much everything is setup as a full mesh so every site has every other sites contents.  I guess one key point I left out is we are on Windows Server 2012 R2.  At one point I heard Backup Exec 2014 couldn't utilize an SDR disk with the OS and BE combination we currently have.  Is that still the case or no?

Colin_Weaver

We fixed that in an update

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000086262

ComputerMan2177
Level 3

Can I jump straight to SP2 since its out now or should I just go to SP1?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. SP's are cumulative

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that when your backup sets are dedup'ed, you will not be able to use SDR with these backup sets unless your media server is up and running

dss_thinktank
Level 4

If I have duplicated copy of backup set of "server" from deduplication folder into disk based storage, can I use SDR with this duplicated copy from disk?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. Again, not without the media server. This is because a .dr file is not created during the duplication process and you have no way to point to this duplicated backup set