cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Disaster Recovery disk image failure

DCA-IT
Level 4

On trying to create an SDR disk image (BE button > Configuration and Settings > Create Disaster Recovery Disk) the wizard tells me I have to manually install a couple of Microsoft software packages; the Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) and the Preinstallation Environment (WinPE).

Following the instructions on the wizard, I must download ADK 1809 as I'm using Server 2019 along with WinPE so I download and install these then run the wizard again. Part way through creating the disk image, an error appears:

Cannot mount the Windows PE image. You may have insufficient privileges for the staging location: C:\Users\RICHAR~1.SER\AppData\Local\Temp\SDRStaging. Try a different staging location by changing the value of the registry key 'Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\IDR\Staging Path'

On looking in the registry, I find there is no Staging Path key, so I create one as per KB 100011310 and set the path to C:\BEsdrStaging, ensuring that the Backup Exec service account has NTFS Full Control applied.

I then run the SDR wizard again but encounter the same error with the new path.

I then run through KB 100044284 but sure enough I have followed these steps to the letter. I try a few other paths, all with the same result.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DCA-IT
Level 4

Schoolboy error.

Backup Exec service account is part of the Backup Operators AD group but my admin account is not.

Was logged into the server with my admin account. Logging in with the service account allows me to run the SDR tool.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

though i have not run into this before, i found this technote https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100013646
additionally check if any errors are seen in event viewer (I am sure you would have but just making sure). Can try to create SDR disk with Antivirus uninstalled as well

Hi Gurvinder,

Thanks for the KB article.

I've looked through the DISM.log file on the server for both of the suggested entries ([7432] [0x80070522] ImageStubMountDirectory:(296): A required privilege is not held by the client. and [7432] [0x80070522] WIMMountImageHandle:(1061): A required privilege is not held by the client.) but have found neither. I've also filtered the Application log in the Event Viewer to find the suggested DISM error event but again, nothing.

I have found similar entries in the DISM log though:

• [7656] [0x80070522] ImageStubMountDirectory:(985): A required privilege is not held by the client.
  • [7656] [0x80070522] WIMMountImageHandle:(1275): A required privilege is not held by the client.
  • [1852] [0x80070522] ImageStubMountDirectory:(985): A required privilege is not held by the client.
  • [1852] [0x80070522] WIMMountImageHandle:(1275): A required privilege is not held by the client.

I'm not sure what the 4-digit numbers in the [ ] refer to or the numbers in the ( ), I've searched the Event Viewer for these numbers but they are not Event IDs.

We have the entire Backup Exec directory added to the antivirus exceptions list so it is very unlikely that AV is causing or contributing towards this problem.

The Manage auditing and security log right is enabled for the Backup Operators AD group of which the Backup Exec service account is a member.

Thanks

DCA-IT
Level 4

Schoolboy error.

Backup Exec service account is part of the Backup Operators AD group but my admin account is not.

Was logged into the server with my admin account. Logging in with the service account allows me to run the SDR tool.