cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Disaster Recovery

Arumugaraj
Level 2

Hello Experts,

What is Baremetal Disaster Recovery ? and Server Recovery ? Both are same or different.  If both are different what is the step by step guide to schedule a job using Backup Exec 2012.

Thanks in advance

Arumuga Raj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the definition from Wikipedia.

Bare-metal restore is a technique in the field of data recovery and restoration where the backed up data is available in a form which allows one to restore a computer system from "bare metal", i.e. without any requirements as to previously installed software or operating system.

Basically bare metal recovery and server recovery are the same thing, i.e. you want to recover your server after a catastrophic failure.  However, it is commonly accepted that bare metal recovery means that you are recovering the server on a different hardware.

Suppose the harddisk of your server crashes and your replace it with a new one.  If you have a good backup of this server with BE, then you can restore this server.  This is server recovery.

However, if your datacentre catches fire and the server hardware is totally destroyed, you would not be able to just restore your BE backups onto some new hardware and recover you server.  When you restore the system state of the machine and re-boot, the re-boot would inevitably fail because the drivers for the new hardware is not present in the backup.

If the backup software is capable of doing bare metal restore, then during the restore process, it can inject the new drivers into the restored machine, thus allowing you to boot up the machine.  BE 2012 with SDR is capable of doing bare metal restores.  SSR is also capable of doing bare metail restores.

Do do bare metal recovery with BE 2012 means that you have to use SDR.  During your backup, make sure that the SDR indicator is on.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Please check link below which described the exact difference

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be2...

In simple word the server recovery performs the file level backup of the server and bare metal recovery performs the block level backup of server. Which would be the main difference.

Hope that clears the confusion

Additionally for SDR please see the link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180099

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74439

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In simple word the server recovery performs the file level backup of the server and bare metal recovery performs the block level backup of server. Which would be the main difference.

This is not true.  You can do bare metal recovery with BE 2012 and SDR, and BE 2012 does not do block level backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the definition from Wikipedia.

Bare-metal restore is a technique in the field of data recovery and restoration where the backed up data is available in a form which allows one to restore a computer system from "bare metal", i.e. without any requirements as to previously installed software or operating system.

Basically bare metal recovery and server recovery are the same thing, i.e. you want to recover your server after a catastrophic failure.  However, it is commonly accepted that bare metal recovery means that you are recovering the server on a different hardware.

Suppose the harddisk of your server crashes and your replace it with a new one.  If you have a good backup of this server with BE, then you can restore this server.  This is server recovery.

However, if your datacentre catches fire and the server hardware is totally destroyed, you would not be able to just restore your BE backups onto some new hardware and recover you server.  When you restore the system state of the machine and re-boot, the re-boot would inevitably fail because the drivers for the new hardware is not present in the backup.

If the backup software is capable of doing bare metal restore, then during the restore process, it can inject the new drivers into the restored machine, thus allowing you to boot up the machine.  BE 2012 with SDR is capable of doing bare metal restores.  SSR is also capable of doing bare metail restores.

Do do bare metal recovery with BE 2012 means that you have to use SDR.  During your backup, make sure that the SDR indicator is on.

Arumugaraj
Level 2

Hi Experts,

I understood the basic difference between Baremetal Disaster Recovery and Server Recovery.

Now i have one doubt whether this Baremetal and Server Recovery both will support

i) Disk to Disk Backup or

II) Disk to Tape Backup.

and can i proceed with the Trial Version.

Thanks in advance

Arumuga Raj.S

Vengada
Level 4

Experts,

Thanks for clarying the differences between them.

Can Some one point me to the step by step guide in order to test the server recovery feature.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Backup exec backup with SDR on support backup on tape and disk both but SSR which is bare metal recovery S/W only support disk based backup

Hope that helps

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

SDR can use both tape or disk media for recovery, but SSR is only disk-based.

SDR is available with the trail version of BE 2012.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please check link below which show step by step method

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180099

Thanks