cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Disaster Recovery

atoniati
Level 3

Hi all,

I just created a SDR from one of my servers.

But I have a question, the whole backup of this specific server is stored in a HP Storage, but the expiration date is 20days.

If the backup expires, I will be able to use SDR.iso to restore this server? If not, should I create a backup task with no expiration date?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As long as you have not enabled the setting for "Allowing Backup Exec to Delete All Expired Media" then the set will be retained even though expired, as we default to keeping the last recovery chain for a specific resource even after expiration.

However if another, newer SDR set of the same server is created (say a week later) then that first set will be deleted after 20 days, it will not be kept (so if you want to retain an SDR ability across more than one backup date then this may give you a problem)

Of course if you rely on the last recovery chain retention and someone enables the above setting without realizing the effect then the set wil be delated so probably better to either set a longer retention time in the backup job, OR as soon as the job finishes, use the option to retain backup sets to block the reclaim (you must do this for of all the backup sets created by that SDR job)

Note: we also do not let full backup sets be deleted (reclaimed) if incremental sets that depend on them are not also expired. Be aware that we do not recommend incremental forever strategies at this current time, so I hope you are running regular full, SDR enabled backups,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As long as you have not enabled the setting for "Allowing Backup Exec to Delete All Expired Media" then the set will be retained even though expired, as we default to keeping the last recovery chain for a specific resource even after expiration.

However if another, newer SDR set of the same server is created (say a week later) then that first set will be deleted after 20 days, it will not be kept (so if you want to retain an SDR ability across more than one backup date then this may give you a problem)

Of course if you rely on the last recovery chain retention and someone enables the above setting without realizing the effect then the set wil be delated so probably better to either set a longer retention time in the backup job, OR as soon as the job finishes, use the option to retain backup sets to block the reclaim (you must do this for of all the backup sets created by that SDR job)

Note: we also do not let full backup sets be deleted (reclaimed) if incremental sets that depend on them are not also expired. Be aware that we do not recommend incremental forever strategies at this current time, so I hope you are running regular full, SDR enabled backups,