cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous B2D2T jobs?

Rick_C
Level 3

Would like for someone to clarify best practice as far as running two B2D2T jobs simultaneously.

Media Server-Server 2012 R2 (fully patched)    BE 15 FP3 (media server is dedicated to BE)

3 target servers - 1 plain-jane file server. (no issues here...because of disk limitations this one must go straight to tape. It works)

The other 2 servers (both Server 2012 R2) are Hyper-V hosts.

Hyper-V agents in place as well as RAWS agent on every server.

One B2D folder (about 3TB) attached via iSCSI (Dell MD3000i) to the media server.  The MD3000 series is not "officially" supported (by Dell) with Server 2012 (it is for BE) but it seems to be stable and others have reported that they have had no issues as well.

What I would like to do is B2D2T jobs for each of the Hyper-V hosts.  This was running well (concurrently) before I upgraded the media server from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2 and added FP3.  Now all of a sudden I am having trouble running *any* kind of job to disk.  After fooling around with it for several days I did a complete fresh install of Server 2012 R2 as well as BE 15.  Still have issues (I have a support ticket open with Symantec...or Veritas or whoever it is that actually runs support now.)

I'm NOT looking for help on the disk issue right now (though I obviously have to figure out what's going on there.)  However, if you just happen to have some first-hand knowledge that applies I would love to hear it!

That's a LOT of background just to post my actual question: Is it safe to run simultaneous B2D2T jobs for each of the Hyper-V hosts using a single B2D folder? 

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You could do so, yes...simulataneous jobs are supported, but the amount you can run depends on your network speed (1GbE vs. 10GbE), type of disk (array vs. dumb external disks) etc.

You would start at 1 x B2D each HyperV host, and increase these. When backups speeds start dropping off, you'd go back by removing 1 simultaneous job and then see how that affects things.

Make sure your network ports on the server, storage and switches are set to the fastest speed of the switch.

Make sure no AV installed is perhaps actively scanning the B2D as well.

Thanks!