cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous backup of multiple resources from single server

Tom_Marschner
Level 2

I am wondering if it an acceptable practice to simultaneously back up two (or more) resources from a single server. I have file shares that have different backup policies and need to back them up to different media pools. Can I create two jobs that start at the same time backing up to my multi-drive tape library? The particular server in question is a Apple Server and I am running the RAMS agent backing up just files (no databases). I am running Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the situation which you described, you can run both the full and differential jobs simultaneously.  As long as you are backing up mutually exclusive resources, it does not matter whether you are using modified time or archive, or from a Mac or Windows machine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If it's files, no problems. Just don't run a DIFF/INCR backup on 1 job and a full on the other as it will cause issues with which files are due to be backed up.

I'd also stagger the backups a bit...no sense in really hammering the server performance-wise (along with your network) unless there are no performance hits during your backup window.

Thanks!

Tom_Marschner
Level 2

Great, thanks for the help. One share is very large and takes 13 hours to back up so I will have to run them simultaneously in order to stick to my preferred backup window.

Tom

Tom_Marschner
Level 2

Quick question: the Mac/Linux agent does differentials based on the modification date of the file and not on an archive bit. Why then would it matter if one job is doing a full backup of one resource and a differential of the other, especially if there is no overlap of the resources (i.e. file sets are mutually exclusive)?

Thanks,

Tom

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'd be lying as I don't have any experience with Mac/Linux. Run the jobs and see what happens...I was just pointing out a potential pitfall in running 2 separate jobs off the same resource.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the situation which you described, you can run both the full and differential jobs simultaneously.  As long as you are backing up mutually exclusive resources, it does not matter whether you are using modified time or archive, or from a Mac or Windows machine.