cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulteneous Backups

sirchigs
Level 2

I am new to BE. I would like to know if its possible to run simulteneous jobs on to the same tape? This is because we could have enterprise backups that may take more than 24 hours backing up yet each backup is supposed to be daily. Or is it possible to have multiple tape drives? what are the issues involved? In a nut shell I am saying how do you back up 20 servers when each server takes more than 2 hours to backup yet the backups have to be taken daily?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No, not possible with BE. With NBU you can do multiplexing.

The only way around this is in 1 of 2 ways:

1. Get a tape library with more than 1 drive in it, and configure multiple jobs to run at the same time. Each job will pick an available tape. Thyis has a licensing implication as every tape drive after the first in a library/autoloader needs to be licensed.

2. Run multiple backups to disk at the same time, and then duplicate to tape once done.

But for what you want, that functionality doesn't exist in BE.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

No, not possible with BE. With NBU you can do multiplexing.

The only way around this is in 1 of 2 ways:

1. Get a tape library with more than 1 drive in it, and configure multiple jobs to run at the same time. Each job will pick an available tape. Thyis has a licensing implication as every tape drive after the first in a library/autoloader needs to be licensed.

2. Run multiple backups to disk at the same time, and then duplicate to tape once done.

But for what you want, that functionality doesn't exist in BE.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not just how many concurrent writes to the media that you have to worry about.  You have to consider your network, the media server itself, the responsiveness of the remote servers, etc.  Backing up your 20 servers simultaneously does not necessarily mean that everything will be backed up in slight more than 2 hours.  Due to resource contention, it might take longer than if you were to back up each server serially.  You got to slowly determine what is the optimum number of concurrent jobs.

sirchigs
Level 2

Thanks for both insights. Very appreciated.

I will explore # 2 CraigV and see how it goes.

pkh - thanks, I would mind a few backups at a time not necessarily the whole set of 20 but  very insightful points you made there.

Thanks.

CraigV

...you need to start with 2, 3 or 4 backups at the same time and work your way up in number. When you notice a performance drop, settle for 1 server less than this and run accordingly. Duplicate the backups to tape once all are done.
Thanks!