cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single e-mail restoration failed

gyurka
Level 3

Hello Everyone!

There are Sym. Backup Exec 12.5 (on Windows Server 2003 SE SP2 x86) and MS Exchange Server 2007 SP2 (on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise SP2 x64). The scheduled backup job finished successfully with the database backup (exchange server backup method: copy db & logs, mailbox backup method: full - back up messages - reset archive bit, enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from information store backups: yes)

The problem is the restoration. I should restore a single mail into a mailbox, but the job failed with this error: "e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932"
Selected resource exists and it is online.

I tried to duplicate backup set, the job finished successfully and created a .bkf file.
Then the restore job worked one and a half hour and failed with the same error.
Maybe the "dismount database before restore" checkbox option should be checked for restore a single mail?

Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have MAPI/CDO installed on the Exchange server ?
Do you have the Exchange 2007 Management Tools (SP2) installed on your backup exec server ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there is no need to dismount your Information Store...BE will do the restore live! You can also refer to the TNs below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51416

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51517

Thanks!

gyurka
Level 3

Messaging API and Collaboration Objects 1.2.1 is installed on the Exchange server and the Exchange 2007 Management Tools (Version: 08.01.0393.001) also installed on the Backup Exec server.

But on the backup server is a lower version of management tools installed. (On the Exchange server: Version: 08.02.0176.002) This maybe a problem?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Officialy it is required to have the exact same version installed on the Media server as on the Exchange server. So it's worth trying.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Great call by Zerocool... The MAPI/CDO and Management tools do need to be the same version from exchange box to media server. Additionally you may want to verify that the B.E. account has the correct permissions on the exchange box.

-Active and unhidden mail box

-sent and recieved email from account

-Unique name at first 4 characters for mailbox Etc...

Please review below document.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184449

gyurka
Level 3

Now both of Exchange Managgement Tools are the same version (08.02.0176.002), but the restore job worked 15 minutes and I get the same error.

gyurka
Level 3
  • Microsoft Exchange System attendant service is stopped on the Exchange 2007 server.

The System attendant service is running on the server.

• The mailbox for the logon account used does not reside in Exchange 2007. For example, if a user is in process of migration from a previous version of Exchange, the logon accounts mailbox may still be in this previous version.

The backup service account has a mailbox (hidden in the global address list) and it is active (I can connect to its mailbox).

• This issue occurs when the Backup Exec service account mailbox does not belong to the Exchange store or is inactive.

I'll try to recreate the service account... 

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Didy you verify the rights as per the article that i provided ?

gyurka
Level 3

I checked, the service account is hidden in the GAL (I corrected), the others are OK. I tried to perform the restoration, but it is failed with the same error.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

have you sent an email to and from the account that you found hidden in the GAL

gyurka
Level 3

Yes, I checked that.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you restart all BE services (on the Media Server and Exchange server) after unhiding the BE service account in the GAL ?

gyurka
Level 3

No, but now yes. However the restore job failed with the same error or can I make another backup and retry the job?

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the following technote and make the changes as suggested:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86155

Refer to the first solution (hosts file) if it is a single server exchange setup.

If it is a multiple server topology then use the second solution.

gyurka
Level 3

The IPv6 communication was completely disabled on the Exchange Server 2007 (Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64) the BE server is Windows Server 2003 x86.