cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip if existing file is more recent

Kelly_Smothers
Level 2
9.1 on 2003sp3

What I'm trying to do is perform a full backup of a folder one night, restore that to a new server, then the next night perform another full backup and restore to same new server with the "Skip if existing file is more recent' option checked. In hopes that the restore might take a little less time. But it seems to just begin a complete restore without worrying about time stamps. (this is a 4.5 hour process to backup and restore)

Perhaps I'm going about this wrong, pointers and advice gladly taken.

K
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
By doing a Full once a week and either a Differential or Incremental the rest of the time, you would only be backing up and restoring a weeks worth or a day's worth of changes 4 days out of 5

Kelly_Smothers
Level 2
Normally that is what happens. I guess I left my intent out sorry.

I am MOVING from one file server to another. My thought was to do a full backup one night, (about four hours), then the next night I would restore that to the new file server(thus changing unc), then the next night I would perform another full or incremental and the following night I would perform a resotre with the "skip if existing is more recent" and it would take less time. but this does not seem to be the way it is working.

I tried backing up then restored that to new server, then the next night Backed up full again, and tried restoring that again to new file server with "skip existing" but i began the four hour process to restore, I was hoping it would take less time.

I'm trying to get around the 8 hour process of moving files from one server to another during off peak times.

Thanks for the comments

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
you'd be better served using Robocopy from the microsoft resource kit or Rsync on linux/unix

Robocopy:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Rsync:
http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

these utilities are designed for exactly the type of sparse file copies you're talking about.

Kelly_Smothers
Level 2
I will try that for sure tomorrow morning, thanks, but am still wondering why this doesn't seem to work within veritas?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.