Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow AVVI performance with SAN transport

AaronMiles
Level 2

Symantec,

Could someone plesae point me in the right direction.  I have the following:

Dell Equallogic arrays in R10 configu with 24x10k spindles each (so they're not slow)

Dell Poweredge R720xd with 24 spindles of 10k drives in R10 (so once again, not slow)

Dell Powerconnect 8132f dedicated 10gb iSCSI SAN network all hosted locally with jumboframes enabled

When I run AVVI backups i only see about around 2000-4000 mb a minute no matter what I seem to do to it. I can confirm from the sgmon logs that the backups are running in SAN transport mode but the throughput is just poorer than I would expect (And have seen in the past)

As I type this I have 2 full backups running with one not moving past 1500mb/min and the other at 920mb/min

when i first got BE2012 installed and working i could consistently backup 10,000-12,000mb a min but as time has gone on (and updates bave been applied) this has stadily reducted.

I can see in SANHQ that IOPS are only around 300-400 (easily under what the array can provide) and the latency is around 10ms

Does anyone have any hints/tips/black magic that may restore backup performance?

Cheers...

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to try tuning your system.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-backup-exec

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you've updated your AV I'd check and make sure it isn't actively scanning the B2D folder, and if so, put in an exclusion for it.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185691

Were jumbo frames always enabled ?

AaronMiles
Level 2

Thanks for that I will have a look and report back

Yes jumbo frames were always enabled from day 1 and I have AV disabled completely at the moment but i do have the B2D and dedupe volumes excluded from the ondemand scanning (sophos)

teiva-boy
Level 6

10ms is a high value.  Anything greater than 3ms, is cause for investigation.  10ms says a bottle neck somewhere.