cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backups to 3Tb RDX

Roger_Thorley
Level 2

I have a 2012 R2 server running a SATA Tandberg RDX drive in a Hp Gen8 server.

Latest Firmware, Latest Version of BU exec.

With 2 Tb Cartridge we achieve a transfer rate of 2500 Mb per minute.

With a 3Tb Cartridge we acheive a transfer rate of less than 400Mb per minute

WHY?

Roger

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the sector sizes etc of the disk format on the two cartidges - you might find a 4K sector size on the 3TB cartidge and a 512 (or 512e) configuration on the 2TB cartridge - this could be enough to cause some performance differences.

Roger_Thorley
Level 2

Sorry its not related to the 3tb disc because its running slow on the 2tb discs as well. 

I installed a Tandberg RDX drive and submitted some backups, a full and an incremental, and they both ran at iro 2,500mb/min

I then tried to be clever and decided to use a 3tb disc!  this required the firmware of the RDX drive to be upgraded to V0.0083, The Host server (a HP ml350 gen 8) had to change the SATA mode in bios to AHCI and partitioning the 3tb disc using GPT and formatted using NTFS

After having to re add the RDX as a Storage devices I then rescheduled the jobs and I am now only achieving around 400Mb/min

The wind

Colin_Weaver

Hmm OK so it could be the SATA mode or possibly GPT changes then that slowed it down.

Roger_Thorley
Level 2

Colin

Yes I had worked that bit out!  But how do I get it to run as fast as it did before as it unuseably slow as it is?

Is AHCI mode or GPT supposed to slow it down?

Have you any suggestions?  or are you saying that BU Exec doesnt support an RDX drive with 3Tb Cartridges?

Roger

Colin_Weaver

I think you should log a formal support case for us to look into it more deeply there may be some advanced settings against AHCI mode that you may need to set (not in Backup Exec but in the OS or BIOS of the server). I doubt GPT is the actual cause and I certainly can't confirm or deny support without more thorough research.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

How fast can you copy things using Windows Explorer?  if it is slow in Windows then there isn't much that BE can do about that, so you would need to work with your hardware vendors.