cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Data Transfer Rate in Trial Version of BU

timothy_running
Level 2

I downloaded the 60 day trial of Backup Exec to test to see whether we should switch to it from Acronis True Image 9. There are a lot of features in BU I really like and I am almost ready to make the switch but I am a very concerned about the slow data transfer rate. If I could speed up the rate then I would pull the trigger and actually make the purchase. 

I have been averaging a data transfer rate of between 100 and 200 MB per minute which is just not acceptable. I have BU Exec installed on the same file server that Acronis is installed on. I suspended all of my jobs in Acronis and set up a GFO rotation in BU to backup to a brand new NetGear NAS.

Acronis can backup our whole file server - 500 GB - in roughly 5 or 6 hours whereas BU is averaging around 26 hours to complete a full backup. 

I have read through some posts and Symantec's documentation on things that can be done to speed up the transfer rate. However, given the fact that Acronis, which is installed on the same server using the same NIC cards going over the same GB switches to the same NAS can perform the backup in 5 hours, I don't think this has anything to do with fragmented disks, NIC cards on the server, or protocols on the switch. 

My questions is, does anyone know if the trial version of the software is purposely designed to throttle bandwidth? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
My questions is, does anyone know if the trial version of the software is purposely designed to throttle bandwidth? 

Nope.  All it takes to convert a trial copy to a licensed copy is a serial

Are your writing backups directly to tape?  or to disk?

Is the tape/controller on it's own SCSI card, or at least it's own channel?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Instead of BackupExec, install BackupExec System Recovery.  For a single server, that is a better and faster solution especially to disk.

timothy_running
Level 2
 The backups are going to a NAS using B2D.

timothy_running
Level 2
Should I uninstall BU first or will the BUSR uninstall it for me during the install process?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Yes uninstall BE in favor of BESR.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Are the Acronis services and Removable Storage service disabled when running BEWS?
Look into using NDMP in Backup Exec for backing up to that NAS...it may solve the speed issues!

Laters!