cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backups on exchange after going to 11

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
We have been running BE 10, our exchange backups were between 3-5 hours now since going to BE 11 Hotfix 6 now the same backups are taking between 6-10+ hours to complete.

Main backup server is:
Server is HP 580 DL G4 - 8 MB of RAM attached to a 2 GB FC
Tape Library is SSL1016 (max throughput is 30MB/s or 108 GB per hour) attach to a 2GB FC
OS is Windows 2003 SP1 or Windows 2003 R2 SP1
exchange version is Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 some hotfixes after service pack 2

Tried both backing up using the remote agent and locally on the server produced same results for the amount of time.
9 REPLIES 9

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
check this out.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285753

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
check this out.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285753

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
I read that and follow all best practices but my backups continue to run slower and slower. Do you have any other suggestions?

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
I have two storage group on my server, would this make any difference to the backup speed I am getting?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
How is the hard drive space on your mail server? is it getting lower at the same time as your backups are getting slower

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
The hard drive have between 50-90 GB free drive space.

I don't think free drive space is the problem here. Not getting lower at backup time.

With 10D everything worked just fine, now with 11 it is taking almost double the time to back everything up.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
This is strange!

Yesterday - I attempted to backup one of my two exchange storage groups.

It ran for 11 hours finally it stopped because of an error - never completed - job just failed.

After the failure, I restarted the following services on the servers that has the exchange resource:

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems
Backup Exec Job Engine

After doing this, I ran the same job and it completed in 3.5 hours...

George_Montany
Level 3
I have 2 stores as well, one 19GB and a second at 286GB and the backup time has gone up almost 40% since going to 11d from 10d. The backup job seems to stall for over an hour after about 19GB is backed up. Seems like, after the first store at 19 GB is complete, the job just sits there for about an hour then the byte count starts to increment upwards again. Whats this hour long delay when backup is switching between the 2 stores?
Should I split the job to back up the stores separately?

ANY help is appreciated.

Bj_rn_Halstad
Level 4
Employee
Are the Exchange jobs snap backups(aofo enabled for the job)? And have you tried the same job with "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store Backups" (GRT) in the job setting for Exchange disabled?

Rgds,

Bj�