cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow job rate during backup

adamf83
Level 3

We currently have a problem where the backup job that is currently running appears to have just stopped.  The byte count has been stuck at 1,617,046,897,012 bytes for the past 10 minutes (that is as much as I have observed, it could well have been longer) and the job rate continutes to drop (I first noticed this when it was at 563MB/min).

Last week we had similar issues with restoring which the hardware vendor (Dell) deemed could have been cause by a seriously out of date firmware on the tape library and drive.  Both has since been both upgraded.

I'm not sure whether this issue is hardware or software related but seeing as this is our end of month backup that we need to keep it's quite important that I get to the bottom of what is causing the issue.

The job has stopped while backing up files on our main fileserver which is running Windows Server 2008 R2.  BE verison is 2010 R2.

Does anybody have any idea what would cause the job to appear to have just stopped?

Cheers

Adam.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Adam,

No errors whatsoever? If you go to Job Monitor, are there any alerts/prompts on the actual job that you need to respond too? You can right-click the job and choose the option to: Respond to Alert.

Also, when it stops, is it always the same server it stops on?

That said, going in line with what Dell advised, I'd suggest patching BE 2010 R2 with the available patches (including SP1). Once done, do a push-install to your remote agents from your media server, and try the job again.

Thanks!

adamf83
Level 3

Craig,

No errors whatsoever.  No errors on the server that is being backed up, it has simply stopped on 1 particular file and won't move.  The job has never stopped before and this particular server was rebuilt and had all of it's data restored using BE last week.  The problems last week I put down to the firmware being so out of date.

I'm downloading SP1 now,  will push it to the servers and hopefully get it re-running and see what happens.

Cheers

Adam.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that you facing this known problem.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issue/performance-issues-maybe-observed-when-backing-system-...

To confirm, do your system state backup separately.

adamf83
Level 3

SP1 and all updates have now been installed.  The error is still occuring, we haven't had a sucessful backup in a week!

I enabled the -debug switch of the server we are having a problem with to gather logs.  I have a case open with Symantec but getting hold of the engineer is a nightmare!

Anybody fancy taking a look at the logs in the meantime?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...escalated to support for you. Hopefully someone picks up on this for you!