cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed over Remote Backup

HP
Level 2
Hi there,

I have extremly slow speed backing up my 2nd server over Remote Agent. My setup is HP ML350G4p working as DC and there is a HP Ultrium 448 conencted to it - it's also on this server my Backup Exec is installed.

I have a Gigabit connection to my other server. That one is a HP ML350G5.

After I have done some reading in this forum (some threds about the same problem) I have updated the drivers and firmware for both SmartArray controllers in the two servers. But still I only get between 15 and 30 MB/min. Whene the backup is backing up data on the local server (the server where the Ultrium 448 is installed) I get between 550 and 650 MB/min.

I have also updated the NIC's in both servers - still the same problem.

I'm kinda new to Backup Exec (my first install) - so please let me know if there is something else I should pay attention to.

If anybody can help me out here - I would be very pleased :)

P.S. I'm using Backup Exec 11d
6 REPLIES 6

Dave_Grams_2
Level 4
Hey HP

The good news is that if you are running a local backup, and you are getting data speeds to your tape drive, that the issue should not be with your controller/drivers.

Its probably moreso with your network settings.

In Windows, are your Gig NICs set to AutoNegotiate Speeds, or set to 1000MB?
Do you have multiple NICs in this server that is backing up? 
In the BE backup job, you can specify which NIC in particular you are using for the backup.
Some other people mentioned in some threads that if you go into the NIC settings in Windows, and
have it talk at Half Duplex, that there is less chatter and sometimes can help speed things up.

Every time I tried this (which turned out wasnt my problem anyways) I notcied that if you drop to half duplex,
that you also drop down to the 100Megabit range for network speeds.
It is still worth a try, becasue the Remote speeds you are getting are pretty low.

HP
Level 2
Hi Dave,

thx 4 u'r post. I have now set both my NIC's to 1Gbit full speed (they was set to Auto before). If I change it to half duplex - I can only run 100 Mbit - and thats not the meaning of a 1Gbit NIC - is it? :)

Still the same speed - about 30 MB/min.

I can install a second NIC in both servers a use that only for the backup - but still my backup will only run on 100 Mbit...hmmm....this cannot be true!!

Any ideas - anybody??

QLAN-IT
Not applicable
I have also run into this issue with one of my servers. The network speed between both servers was tested. No problems with speed. I have three other remote servers going to the same server and they all run on average about 500MB/Min. The newest one that is having hte issue, an HP ML360 DL G5 running Windows 2003 x64 and Exchange 2007. Now the weird part, this server was backing up at 500MB/Min up to two weeks ago. Then it started to backup at 60MB/Min. There have been no changes in hardware, software, or updates applied. It just started doing it. I have removed Veritas 11d on all server installed the Veristas 11d 7000 build on all systems. All but this one server works fine. What is the deal here.

JC777
Level 3
I've experienced the exact same problem.  Our backups were going at over 1000MB and now our speeds are between 200-500mb.  The backup I run is to different servers in our domain.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.  I running Windows Server 2003 R2 and Backup Exec 12.  There is a patch for the Backup Exec 12 that I am going to apply but I wanted to check some other things prior to installing it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

any changes about the time the slowdown started?

Microsoft Maintenance?
BackupExec service install?

If you do an XCOPY of a large chunk of data, do you get slow transfers that way also?

JC777
Level 3

The only thing that would have changed on any of our servers would be that we've installed MS updates.  It is really strange because the backup will be slow for one drive (C: with the OS) and fast with a second drive on the same server (data storage).

I added the version 12 SP1 and a driver installation hotfix but no change.  The backup is still running (10 hours) so I will wait until it finishes and will call the tech support line to seek assistance.  I see lots of references to this problem but no clear solution.