cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowdown while backing up through AVVI

xadox
Level 5

I am trying to create a backup from one of our virtual windows 2003 servers. I am using BackupExec 2012 SP1a.

I have added our VMware vCenter Server in the BackupExec server list. Now I am trying to create a backup2disk with activated GRT.
The virtual server has two hard disk one 60GB for the system and another with 1.3TB.

While the backup starts with about 3000 MB/min it slows down to about 600 MB/min. At the moment the backup is runnig for 1 day and 5 hours. And backup exec is still not at the GRT cataloging process.

In the past with BackupExec 2010 R3 the backup process was finished after 17 hours.

Edit:

I have changed the transport mode to SAN and deactivated GRT. With this config I can reach about 7000 MB/min.

Activating GRT slows down the proces again to 600 MB/min.

3 REPLIES 3

deepak_t
Level 4
Employee

Which applications are installed in the VM for which you are taking GRT backup?

xadox
Level 5

Windows Server 2003 is used as fileserver. Symantec Agent, F-Secure AntiVirus are installed and no additional software.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

GRT backups are slower than non-GRT backups but not to the extent which you describe...

Are you using a 32-bit media server ? Do you get comparable speeds when backing up to both disk /tape ? Have you set antivirus exclusions for the BE services ?