cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Tape Backup Speed after upgrade to Backup Exec 12.5 Sp3

dirisit
Level 3

We currently upgraded from backup exec 11d to backup exec 12.5 sp3. Applied all patches updates, etc and pushed out the latest remote backup agent to all servers being backed up,

another words, we thought everything was the same except the version, same backup jobs, same files to be backed up, but...

we noticed a signaficantly reduced backup speed to tape to complete the 2 night jobs we run.  My HP LTO2 drive was getting 750-800 mb/min and my HP LTO3 drive was getting 1100-1150 mb/min

for their respective jobs. After the upgrade, my LTO2 is getting 550-575 mb/min and my LTO3 is getting 850-875 mb/min.??

I saw a similar post about upgrading the drivers for the tape drives to symantec drivers, so we did that with no affect on the speed.

I've heard 12.5 sp3 is faster than 11d, not slower, everything else is EXACTLY the same, we're lost on this one.

media server is also the domain controller - windows 2003 32bit server R2, backup up windows 32 bit and 64 bit R2 servers?

We are absolutly sure the new remote agents we're pushed out to the servers being backed up.

Has anybody else experienced this or have a possible solution with apparent problems with 12.5 sp3??

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
 You could use the latest Symantec drivers, but you can also try the manufacturers drivers as well.  They are more often updated and built for speed rather than compatibility and reliability.

dirisit
Level 3
used both the latest hp and symantec drivers and still the same slow speed?

was wondering if anybody else took a speed hit after upgrading?

ghodder
Not applicable
Yes My LTO3 drive used to get about 1000MB/min+ with 11d but after upgrading to 12.5 I also suffered a major drop in speed, mine usually averages about 700mb/min now. My backups have gone from about 14-16hrs to now take almost a full 24hrs for a 500gb D2D2T job. I've never been able to figure out why it's so much slower but it only happened the day I upgraded to 12.5.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 If you dont mind rebuilding, you can always uninstall, clean your folders, and reinstall.  I've seen more posts about speed issues after an upgrade, and a clean reinstall was the fix