cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot Technology

Benjamin_Chiu
Level 3

We're using the BE2012 with W2K8 R2, mount with one LUN of EMC SAN storage as U: Drive.

We perform this RAW backup of U: Drive everyday, and we execute the pre command to take snapshot of this U: before the backup runs.

Recently, we updated the setting of this RAW backup to disable the "use the snapshot technology" under "Advance Open File" in BE2012.

However, when we checked the log, it seems still using "Use Snapshot Technology", anyone knows how can we confirm to disable this?

We are wondering about will this "Use Snapshot Technology" affect the average transfer rate? We found the elapsed time of this backup in BE2010 is around 7 hour, while it takes around 14 hours in BE2012. I searched the other posts in this forum, we've already disabled "Enalbe checkpoint restart", but the result seems nothing changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

To my mind you'd select this when using AOFO on something like a file server (not Exchange/SQL etc), or if you have a specific VSS provider you want to explicitly select.

Leave this selection off, run the backup, and test your restores. This will give you a good indication of whether or not it works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Windows Server 2003 and 2008 will always use VSS during a backup. You'd have to look at disabling VSS under services.msc to see if this makes any difference.

Thanks!

Benjamin_Chiu
Level 3

So, this option is for OSes other than 2003 and 2008?

CraigV

To my mind you'd select this when using AOFO on something like a file server (not Exchange/SQL etc), or if you have a specific VSS provider you want to explicitly select.

Leave this selection off, run the backup, and test your restores. This will give you a good indication of whether or not it works.