cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot processing... SQL server

Ratchet_Inc
Not applicable
I am having the dreaded snapshot processing issue that hangs for a long period of time. After I go to the SQL server that is being backed up there is a visual studio debugger pop up prompt. I hit No I do not want to debugg and then the back up continues to the next server. I have this happening on more than one SQL server. I have looked at the forums extensivily and it seems no one every finds a solutions to fix the the issue for Backupexec 12. I have used the BEutility to turn on logging for the server but the logs it spits out are massive and I don't know what I should be looking for. Also I have attached the log file.  Any help would be great!

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Turn off Advanced Open File Option for that job. Symantec don't rcommend using AOFO when backing up SQL.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Any news on this?

Edbert
Level 3
Maybe I should start e new thread, but that can make searching harder in the long term so I hope I'm not going to make people mad by posting here.

I have a single job that backs up 11 servers, 8 of which are 2003 (a mixture of R1 and R2 all with SP2) and two are 2008 x64. This job has been running without incident for over a year in all, and many months without a change being made to the job or agents. All of a sudden I am getting the error described above when it hits my SQL2005 server (on 2008x64).

I am willing to try turning off AOFO or adjust the settings which are now on the "automatically select", but I do not know how to make it do that on a host-by-host basis. I really need to have it on since I have several file shares being hit by the job and we all know how many users leave documents open when they leave at night. Changing that also does not explain why it worked for 14+ months and just now stopped, but if I can turn it off and get a good backup I'm happy.

I have confirmed that my SQL maintenance jobs are not running at the time I hit it with the tape.

Should I trry disabling VSS all toghether? It is on by default but I really have never needed or used it and although it seems like a good thing to have I'll kill it in a heartbeat in order to have good reliable backups.

Please respond, thanks in advance,
Ed