cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Basic Questions: VSS/VCB/GRT

Vipul_Gupta
Not applicable

Hello,

I am evaluating backup exec for VMware backups.

Here is what I have working:

Server with: VCB Proxy and backupexec

I am able to backup and restore image level and file level (although sometime file level becomes unavailable, don't know why)

Here's what I would like clarification on:

I have exchange and SQL servers and we plan to buy Agents for them, along with VMware agents.

Do I really need to install VSS on exchange server if I have the exchang agent installed and I am backing up the Virtual server image.

Best Regards

-Vipul Gupta

2 REPLIES 2

Sudhir_Amin
Level 4
Employee Accredited

We would suggest you to use VSS provider package. And also be aware few things before installing the provider.

VSS support is not enabled by default on the Guest Machine i.e Windows Server 2003 during VMware tools upgrade on ESX 3.5.

For reference

VMware ESX Server backup fails with the Error "Snapshot creation failed: Custom pre-freeze script failed." after installing the Backup Exec VSS provider

http://support.veritas.com/docs/312835  

Compatibility of the Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) with VMware VSS Provider

http://support.veritas.com/docs/316570  

About protecting databases and applications with the VSS Provider

http://support.veritas.com/docs/310555

Sudhir_Amin
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Additional points to consider

Just to be  more clear about your understanding with the product.

AVVI ( Agent for Vmware Virtual Infrastructure) is responsible for backup  and restore of the Virtual Machine. But it is not able to perform GRT restore for application such as Exchange , sharepoint or even Active directory. Enabling VSS provider will allow you backup VM in a crash consistent state rather backing up with out VSS provider.

But if your intention is backup and restoring the exchange server information then you should install the agent inside the VM and perform backup as you do for physical server.

For information on this please read this -- It is one of FAQ

2. Do I still need to use Database or Application Agents for backups?Answer-Yes, it is extremely important that separate regular database or application levelbackups be performed of virtualized applications such as Microsoft SQL, Exchange,SharePoint, Oracle, Active Directory, Lotus Domino, etc. These applications anddatabases require regular log truncation, database maintenance, consistency checks,etc that are performed only as part of a regular Backup Exec database or applicationAgent-level backup. If these separate Database Agent-level backups are not performedregularly, application log files could continue to accumulate, eventually fill the entiredisk, and cause application or database failure.Additionally, Backup Exec 12.5 database and application Agent backups allow granularrecovery and point-in-time recovery of the application itself. For example, to recover anindividual Microsoft Exchange mailbox, message, contact, calendar item, or database,the backup must have been performed separately with the Backup Exec Agent forMicrosoft Exchange.