Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions about Recovery Scenario

hetfield_86
Level 5

Hello everybody

I have these questions:

1- For some reason Operative System where BE 12.5 was instaled crash. I don't have backup of SQL Data Base of BE. So how can I restore a backup from a tape????

2- For situations like that, I want to know what are best practices to avoid this problem, how could I garantee high availability of Backup Exec Enviroment????

Thanks for helping

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) You will have to do fresh installation of BE, then inventory all the tapes. Before restoring

data from the tapes you will have catalog the media.

2) You can backup the DATA & CATALOGS folder on regaular basis, these folders are located 

at X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. 

DATA folder contains the BE database and the catalogs folder contains the catalogs of the 

backup set

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

hetfield_86
Level 5

Thanks Amol for awnsering.

So If I reinstall Operative System, then install BE and later inventory and catalog media I can access to tape 's content ???

Thanks again.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

That is correct.  Once the media has been inventoried and cataloged you should be able to restore the data on the tapes.

AmolB

1) You will have to do fresh installation of BE, then inventory all the tapes. Before restoring

data from the tapes you will have catalog the media.

2) You can backup the DATA & CATALOGS folder on regaular basis, these folders are located 

at X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. 

DATA folder contains the BE database and the catalogs folder contains the catalogs of the 

backup set

hetfield_86
Level 5

Tape or other kind of device backup dedicated??? Like D2D, Virtual Tape Libraries. Not???

AmolB

To restore data from the tape or B2D or VTL you will have to catalog the media.

Without catalogs you will not be able to see any data in the restore window.

hetfield_86
Level 5

Thanks to everybody for help me.