cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions on backupexec

GSS4
Level 2
Hi,

I have Symantec BackupExec. I want to backup the following components on a daily basis:

SQL Server (on my host - this contains 10 dbs)
Hyper-V system state (not the actual VMs themselves)
Windows Server and its system state (AD)

If I want to backup these to seperate directories, I will need seperate jobs right?

How can I backup SQL Server's dbs as full on a daily basis and then transaction logs every 15 minutes for each of the dbs?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
If you want to backup the data to seperate directories then you have to create sperate backup jobs so you can target it to seprate directories
Refer the following document to know about backing up transaction logs http://support.veritas.com/docs/343411

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Some Questions:
1  : How many servers are you planning to backup?
2  : On which server backup exec is instanned? (a seperate member server, SQL Server, Domain controller....etc)
3  : Are you planning to backup up on Tapes or disk?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you want to run backups using AOFO, then separate the jobs. Using AOFO with SQL is known to cause issues.
Splitting the jobs in this case is recommended.
I suspect that to back up your SQL logs every 15 minutes, you will have to look at creating a job for that, selecting the option to Log No Truncate - Back up transaction log - no truncate, and schedule it to run every 15 minutes from x-hour to y-hour, with the full backup running at the end of the day during your backup window.

GSS4
Level 2

Hi,

BackupExec is installed on the physical host of my VMs which acts as a SQL Server and Domain Controller (very bad practise I know but this is a home environment).

For what I ask, I would need a backup policy, correct?

How do I specify not to keep more than a day's worth of backups?

I have 2 VMs which I am also backing up for (but not the VMs themselves, but the other data related to each one).]

I am backing up to removable disk. Can BackupExec copy files from one location to another?]

BTW, what is AOFO?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Some answers:

1. You would set overwrite period to 1 day, append to 0.
2. AOFO = Advanced Open File Option...it allows you to backup open files like documents etc.
3. what you can look at doing is running a backup in a policy (GFS), and then once that backup is done, putting a rule into the policy that duplicates that backup elsewhere. That would be how you copy from 1 location to another.

Laters!