cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sometimes Backup Exec 12.5 doesn´t overwrite existing Backup and ejects RDX Disk

bdonleitner
Level 2

Hello

I´m using Backup Exec 12.5 german version with the latest updates (checked with live update), windows 2008 Small Business Server and RDX 500GB Backup Disk.

1. I backup files und HDD D with 250GB

2. I backup Systemsate of Windows eg. 50GB

3. I backup Exchange with about 50GB with GRT

4. we make a daily full backup

- we use one week the same RDX disk. This means the backup should be overwriten every day with the newest backup files

Some day´s the Backup works corret. The Backup finishes and I get an positive feedback of backup via email.

On some day´s the Backup doesn´t finish. I don´t get a fault message via mail. In some cases I don´t know why the backup stops. In other cases the backup RDX Disk is automatically ejected by backup exec.

Shure, the disk is full in case of the backups from the day´s before. But I made the setting overwrite existing backups.

So why is the backup exec sometimes not able to overwrite existing backups?

Thanks

BR

Bernhard

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools ---> Options ---> Media Management and check.

1) The overwrite protection level is set to either Partial or Full

and

What is the OPP of the targeted media set? If you want your file to be overwritten daily, then you should set your OPP to 20 hrs.

If your disk is full, then it would be eject and you would get an alert asking you to insert an overwriteable disk.

bdonleitner
Level 2

Hello

Thanks for your answer. I changed the setting as you shown in the screenshot. But Backup exec ejected the RDX Disk again. In the attachment you find the Backup report. We are using a german version of backup exec.

Also I recognized, that the disk is ejected and if we insert the disk an show the property´s then we see that there is unused space on the disk.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

.img files need to be allocated in their entirety.  If the next .img file to be allocate is more than 60Gb, BE will eject the disk for lack of space.  You got to either use a new disk or clear some space on your disk before the job starts.

bdonleitner
Level 2

Hello

I restarted backup exec services and the windows server.

Now Backup Exec works correct.

But I don´t understand, why every some weeks Backup doesn´t work and need manual reset action.

BR

Bernhard