cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting a backup into multiple jobs

I8displaynames
Level 3

I want to split my file server backup into more sections to try and reduce the overall backup window. When I create the extra jobs I get the message "This backup will not run until the first full backup is complete" for the differential section of the new backup.

My question is, as I have an already successful full backup of the file server which was created by my existing jobs and hence the archive bit already exists, will this new differential backup run and if not can I override the block somehow?

2 REPLIES 2

I8displaynames
Level 3

@I8displaynames wrote:

My question is, as I have an already successful full backup of the file server which was created by my existing jobs and hence the archive bit already exists, will this new differential backup run

Well I know the answer to the first part of the question, its no. It would still be helpful to know if it can be overridden though.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  This cannot be overriden.  You cannot have two backup chains referencing a single full backup.  Each backup chain must have its own full backup as a basis.  Although BE does not prevent this, you should not backup the same resource using two backup chains.  They will "interfere" with each other.

As a side note, you should be using the modified time method which is faster rather than the archive bit method.