cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable backup of Exchange 2007

Robert_Eriksson
Level 4

Hi

I’m struggling to get a stable GRT backup going on my Exchange 2007 SP3 servers.
I’m using BE 2012, but it hasn’t been stable since I started using BE, 11d I think the first was.

I’m backing three Exchange 2007 servers, one local and two over WAN.
One is fairly far away, but all are connected over 100Mbit.
All three has 4 databases, all around 100GB each.
I tried Dedupe (but only one can be used on one sever so that’s is an issue), and Full/Incremental. Full backups are often ok but take forever and put a heavy load on the WAN-link. Time is the big problem.

Incremental may run OK for a few runs but then they fail and you have to take a new Full over the WAN again. Even the local server will fail.

One error that’s coming up a lot:
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup.
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

But there are not memory or disk problems.

Also a lot of: Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Is there a stable solution for this or should I give up?

We have a SCR-solution for Disaster recovery so this is only for single object kind of recovery.

Regards Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Robert,

What's stopping you putting down inexpensive disk (like a NAS or USB drive that is large-enough). Load BE on your remote servers, and load the Enterprise Server Option on your main site which will allow you to leverage the CASO (Central Administration Server Option).

Your plan of action would now be as follows:

1. Backup locally on each site to local disk (iSCSI/network share/USB/local disk);

2. Once done, duplicate your backup sets back to your main site which gives you your offsite copies.

This way, the only data traversing your WAN is data being duplicated across.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does this document applies?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76078

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Robert,

What's stopping you putting down inexpensive disk (like a NAS or USB drive that is large-enough). Load BE on your remote servers, and load the Enterprise Server Option on your main site which will allow you to leverage the CASO (Central Administration Server Option).

Your plan of action would now be as follows:

1. Backup locally on each site to local disk (iSCSI/network share/USB/local disk);

2. Once done, duplicate your backup sets back to your main site which gives you your offsite copies.

This way, the only data traversing your WAN is data being duplicated across.

Thanks!

Robert_Eriksson
Level 4

Hi

Thanks! But "This applies only to 32 bit servers"

I run x64 on all servers involved.

br Robert

Robert_Eriksson
Level 4

Hi

One way to go, thanks!

br Robert